Monday, July 30, 2012

Just Another Night

I cut grass for three hours today in balmy 97 degree weather. Didn't quite have time to finish all the weed eating but decided to quit early for a long cool shower before heading into work...a little bonus for my customers!

Got seated a party of seven, two on walkers and one with a cane. Their grown children were with them and a teen aged grandson with an AC/DC tee shirt on and a smart phone in his hand. He didn't take his eyes off the screen one time the entire dining experience. After it was all over, I almost agreed with his decision.

It took them five minutes to all shuffle back  to the room where their table was. Two minutes to to store the walkers and prop up the cane. Another five for the women to boss the men around and tell them where to sit and where not to. (one renegade at  the table tried to decide for his self where to sit but was quickly hen pecked to death)

The patriarch of the family had the chair at  the head of the table after he was clearly instructed to do just that.

He waved me over with one of those huge "Hey! Come over HERE!" arm signals and asked if we had Bud Light? He said he wanted a draft and I told him we only had bottled beer. He asked if we had Miller Lite then? I told him we did and he cranked his neck around to look up at me and said "I'll have a Miller Lite then, and I want one of them TALL drafts."

His wife almost screamed at him "She just TOLD YOU  they don't have draft beer!"

He said "Well I'll take the Fettuccine Alfredo." I didn't think his wife's voice could get any shriller but it went up a good ten decibels and she flat out hollered "WE'RE NOT ORDERING FOOD YET!!"

I patted the ole gent on  the shoulder to let him know it was okay. I'm a touchy feely kind of server. The customers I know very well almost always get a hug. I pat their arms, shake their hands and will even tuck in a tag on the back of a woman's dress or blouse for them. I'm a full service kind of server!

The daughter seated next to Pops said  to bring him a bottle of beer. I got him his beer and started to take their order.

 I got to  the third person, either a son or son in law and when I asked him what he would like to order and he said "I'd like a Bud draft" was the only time I saw the teen look up, or laugh.

They were really a nice family and enjoyed the meal.  I enjoyed peeking into their world for a hour. You could tell  they loved each other in their own eclectic (or maybe resigned) way.

They reminded me of a comedy bit my sister told me about.  A stand up was talking about the difference between elderly men and women in nursing homes. He said the women always dressed nicely and just seemed  to look mildly ticked off, like they had always thought they would have gone to  Europe but never did. The men always had a wild eyed crazy stare weaving their head about with  their mouth wide open seeming to look like they were expecting you  to tell them the answer to a big secret question "Where's the GOLD???"

I also got to wait on one of my Fave Former co workers from  The Western Sizzler. He put himself through college working for the evil giant and got out just in time. He has a great wife and great job now. That's what happens when you  are a great  guy! He came in with his mom and I had a great time chatting with them. "Great" tables are the best...I have so much fun I feel like I should tip them.

Massey is getting closer to home and her senior year in high school. She's in Missouri.

Zach starts his new job tomorrow with  a $1.50 raise right from  the jump.

Ziggy is down to peeing in the house once a day.

Haven't gotten a cut off notice from a utility company in almost a year.

YEP! I'd say  things are looking up.

Til next  time...COTTON

No comments: