Saturday, March 31, 2012

So This is How it Went...But at Least we Made it!

We got a late start this morning...taking two teen age girls ANYWHERE is always a late start, especially when suitcases are involved. We gassed up and pulled onto the highway.

We had been on the interstate for maybe ten minutes when traffic began to bog down. It was misting outside and I don't like driving in ANY kind of rain so I made sure to have plenty of distance between me and the other idiots on the road. I was in the right lane and the left lane was minivan to minivan with about five feet between each vehicle. I could see brake lights coming on up ahead of me and just soon as I remarked to Massey that traffic was backing up the left lane seemed to come to a stop. Three vans almost collided, the second van's brakes squealed in protest and seemed to not be working so well  and I thought for sure they would all wreck. There was a Toyota 4Runner behind the third van who couldn't stop fast enough either so chose to take MY lane forcing me into the emergency lane. I truly thought for sure it was going to be a five car pile up at the very least.

Somehow we made it out of that fiasco and the idiots in the left lane seemed to learn their lesson and backed off each other a bit. We got further down the road and a little black Honda filled with teens came screaming around all of us swerving in and out of lanes as if they had a medical emergency.

The rest of the ride was better until we hit Montgomery. Traffic once again slowed to ten MPH and I could see flashing lights up ahead on the right. Knowing there was a wreck in  the right lane I switched to the left lane. All the other idiots stayed in the right lane which was going a bit faster even though they knew they needed to merge left. That really ticks me off, especially when their lane finally runs out and they want sympathy from you with their left blinker pleading you to let them back over. I commented to  the girls in the car (which I probably shouldn't have) "Keep on going in  the right lane dummy but there ain't no room in front of ME Biotch!"

If accidents can at all be considered lucky I considered this one so. It happened maybe one minute before traffic slowed down and we were maybe fifty cars behind it. If we had left the house five minutes later we would have been stopped for hours.

We made it through the traffic as the fire truck and ambulance pulled across the grass from the other side of the highway.

When we passed the crash I just shook my head...There was the little black Honda who had screamed by us not thirty minutes earlier. Guess they got a medical emergency NOW! Not to mention they had taken out a pick up and  van as well.

We met my friends who were picking up the girls at the Arby's off the exit a mile or so down. I had to pee like a racehorse and so did Alyssa (who had slept through both crashes) and we jumped out to run inside and use the facilities. We opened the door and it looked like a line at a sold out concert. I motioned for Alyssa to follow me and we ran across the parking lot to the Pizza Hut that looked like a ghost town. We went in and I glanced up at  the menu like I wanted to order and said "Let's go to the restroom first."

 UGH! Only a single  restroom so I let Lyssa go first as I crossed my legs tightly and waited. A man came out of the men's room and with no men waiting to go in I chose to lock myself into it and squatted over their disgusting pee covered seat. AAH !!

Alyssa came out as I was coming out of the men's room and I pulled her out the exit door and we crept behind the building back to Arby's. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do! At least I wiped their disgusting toilet seat with  a wad of thirty paper towels before I washed my hands three times, turning off the faucet with another towel and opening the door with yet another one.

We all ate an extremely unhealthy meal with gross "Curly" fries and fake cheese . The girls transferred their luggage from my car to my friend's and I kissed them all goodbye. I took  the exit for north bound and they went south.

I got back up the interstate to discover the accident scene on the south bound side was still active and called Massey  to tell her. She said to clock how many miles traffic was backed up. For eight miles on the south bound side traffic was at a stand still. People were out of their cars and I saw two people out fussing because they too had rear ended each other.

If we had left the house five minutes later we would have been caught up in that eight mile long traffic jam.

Instead the girls are safe in  the hands of my friends...at the beach and eating at Dewey's in Destin as I  type.

If I ever have a normal day in my life I will begin to worry. Hasn't happened so far but  always gives me plenty to blog about!

My little Drama daughter is safe in paradise and I am left at home with four males...twelve legs between them all.

I started some laundry, read my book for a while and ordered a pizzawork and spending Saturday and Sunday on the beach too.

At least I survived the trip. At least we ALL did!

The things you do for your kids. Some people think it's crazy, I call it being a "Momma."

Til next  time...the dryer just buzzed,   COTTON

No comments: