Friday, March 9, 2012

My Back's Killing Me But My Broom Did a Trick

 So I go into work this morning at 10:30.  Around noon my back started hurting. I know the sign all too well. About once every year or so my back goes out for a day...sometimes two. It kills me when the spasms hit. By the time I left for my break between shifts I was gripping the steering wheel like a vise and trying to sit as straight as possible in the seat of the car. I went by and paid two of the giants I detest the most...cable and cell phone.

 I just didn't have it in me to argue with either corporate giant as previously  planned so I just threw both some money  to shut them up and went to pick up Massey from school. When she got in  the car I  threw it in gear and came home to find the heating pad.

 If I could manage to do  the excercise in the above photo I  think I would be okay but I can't so I did what old women do, apply a heating pad and pray while flat on my back for thirty minutes. When Massey hollered from her room that it was time for me to leave for work I convinced myself that my back felt better as I left with eight minutes to spare to get back to work. After a cup of coffee, probably my seventh of the day I said outloud to no one in particular..."Yeah, I feel a LOT better now."

By six thirty I was sweating...from coffee, menopausal hot flashes AND the back ache.  Somehow I made it through and luckily was cut by 9:00.  I did my side work, cleaned my section of tables and was looking around for a bullet to bite on by  the time I clocked out. Zach had to go in earlier than me and had driven Tim's car to work so I drove it home to put gas in it and have it back at  house for him to take to work leaving my car for Zach to drive home when he got off. For once the hard booster seat behind my back felt GREAT and I treated myself to a six pack of cheap Natty Lights after I gassed up his military tank of a car.

I came home and sat down at  the computer (bringing my heating pad with me.)  Stupid heating pad has an auto shut off so I have to keep turning it back on but am feeling better. May be the heat may be the Natty Light but at least I feel better. Tim got up for work and I got up  to see if the Spring Solstice  thing was right or a lot of hooey. Everyone has been talking about how during the Solstice your broom can stand up by itself. I hated leaving my heating pad but just wanted to see....


I'll be darned...it really worked! I was so impressed that I actually took a picture of my own kitchen broom. Maybe it was just wanting to run away from  the hovel I call home but dangit the thing stood there by itself !

I felt like David Copperfield with a bad back!

I'm taking my heating pad and vacuuming a small spot of the carpet free of dog hair and plugging in my new BFF (the heating pad) and sleeping flat on my back on  the floor.

If my broom can stand on it's own... so can I tomorrow (hopefully.)

It's sucks getting old but at least I am alive to enjoy my suffering!

Til next time...COTTON with the magic broom!

2 comments:

mark said...

Encreuble! I will try it next year.

Auto'Blog'raphy of a Waitress & Mom said...

I am almost fifty two and was blown away...the broom wasn't though. You still have til tomorrow night. It takes a careful balancing but I can't imagine it happening for any other reason. Never has before!