Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Plowing Along

Actually I DO have two pairs of these overalls and two dogs that seem to eat as much as  two horses.

So far 2012 has been MUCH better although I am a little nervous about this coming Friday (the thirteenth.) Work has had some slow days but terrific days as well. Since I've already broken my resolution of taking one day off a week, I tend to  think of the slow shifts as my "Rest" periods.

Zach still hasn't found a job... but unknowingly is working for me. I don't pay him except with the roof over his head , Internet access and food to eat. At least I have someone to pick Massey up from school when I have to work and take her in  the mornings when Tim has to go in early. I have someone to do the laundry and unload and load the dishwasher. He is an excellent vacuumer and is pretty handy with fixing things around the house. I am keeping my fingers crossed no one hires him for at least two more weeks and he'll finally have the whole house in top notch order!

In all honesty I can say that if things keep going as they have , in six months we will finally round that corner we have been staring at way down the road for almost two years. No wonder my eyes are so bad, I've been constantly squinting for two years!

Speaking of that...everyone makes fun of my terrible eyesight at work. There are three computers at work and I have a pair of glasses stashed at every one of them. I buy them at the Dollar Store for $1.00 or root through the lost and found box until I find some that work. I break them all the time but Gorilla Glue them back together. Sometimes my co workers like to hide them from me making me think I have lost not only my eyesight but my mind as well. Don't they realize "I need my glasses to FIND my glasses?"I have found them stuck over picture frames or hidden behind a computer. It took me about a week to figure out what they were doing...Kudos to me, obviously I have taught them well!

My little Frenchy friend at work bought me  pair of stitching glasses from Michael's. They were actually pretty nifty looking and took me two days to break. I Gorilla Glued them and broke them again two days later. She had been off from work so I went across the street to Michael's and bought another pair exactly like them so she wouldn't notice when she came back. It took me three days to break the new pair. I get busy and stuff them into my apron or get in a hurry and drop them on the marble floor.

The problem is I "Refuse" to wear them at a table. I already have a  Great Race going on between my gray hair and wrinkles and another between my Carpal Tunnel and corns on my pinkie toes. I weigh ninety nine pounds.  Pretty much my dignity is all I have left...and I look like a Granny with glasses on.

When someone looks under thirty and orders a drink I card them. I squint at their driver's license and often ask them to point out their date of birth. Sometimes I can't get it far enough away from my face and ask THEM to hold it. Sometimes I have to take it back to the computer and look at it with my "Eyes on."

When I pick up a check and it has a credit card that says "Check ID" I put my glasses on when I am running the card by  the computer and look at the name. When I go back to the table at least I can say "Mr. Jones, I need to see your ID." If the fuzzy picture resembles their face I know I'm okay.

To make myself feel better I  tell myself my eyes aren't getting worse... my arms are getting shorter.

I can see fine unless it is up close. I can see that my life is getting better, I can see that I am blessed, I can see I have a great job and a wonderful family. What I can't see... is the things that aren't really THAT important, the little things.

Til next time "Squinting Cotton"

No comments: