Saturday, January 28, 2012

Overloaded at Work...

Okay, so I don't have a desk job but if I did this is the way my desk would have looked tonight.

Had a good morning, slept til ten... watched the news and caught an episode of "Full Throttle Saloon" featuring my high school friend's son who is a wounded warrior. He was featured on the episode. I've never been a huge Harley fan although I have a very nice women's Harley jacket I bought from a friend in 1982 after he split up with his girlfriend. (Thank the Lord she was tiny) It's my favorite jacket and is soft, worn and fits like a glove.
After watching the FTS episode, it made Toddlers & Tiaras look like a VBS talent show.

 The difference was Todd is a 21 year old man who lost three limbs to an IED and for him to have half naked women all around him was a heck of a lot less than he is due but probably a lot of fun for him!

Then Massey and I headed over to the booming town of Griffin to the Sock Shoppe and replaced my husband's disgusting briefs (Thank  the Lord he hasn't been in a car accident) and picked up socks, tights for me to wear to work, tee shirts to upgrade Zach's daily uniform and even dress socks that my color blind husband could match. It's a mill store and the prices are ridiculously low. Maybe some items are slightly flawed...but that fits right in with our family theme!

We left and stopped once back in our own county to give the lil' bidness some $$ too. We ate at the Redneck Gourmet. One of Zach's friends works there...a cute little girl who if I could, would pay to be my future daughter in law. The food was great, the fries were right up there with The Varsity's (a big compliment from a girl from the Atlanta area) and it was nice to get a belly full before having to head into work.

Got to work (with Massey in tow, she was busing tables) and the bottom fell out.  I walked in thirty minutes early and ran into a couple who wanted me to wait on them. My manager said I could wait on them so I clocked in and took off running. I had another table of five that had made a reservation requesting me as their server at seven and got slam banged right up til then with tables. (not that I'm complaining...just setting up the story) At the Sock Shoppe I bought  new tights for work and knowing it was going to be cold tonight bought some sock tights that are thicker. As it got busy I felt like I was wearing long johns.

In the meantime I had three other tables go down and then a party of four... two couples in their sixties. As I half ran to the table to get their order one of the men asked "It's really chilly in here can you  turn the air down?'  In hindsight maybe I should have re thought my response but like the talker I am said "Are you out of your mind? I'm a fifty year old woman, I'd lift my arms up to show you my sweat stains but instead I'll just  tell you I haven't been chilly in over a year and I don't even think I've peaked yet. Did you  bring a sweater with you?"

The look I got was what I would call mid way between shocked and mystified. The women were amused, the men not so much. I doted on  the men after that and promised I would have the air adjusted. (not)
It was only one hour of chaos but seemed like an eternity as sweat poured down my back and I hustled from  table to table to table.

It's crazy waiting tables. When it all hits at once...you gotta go with it... at least it's "Hitting."
I got lucky and wowed the chilly folks and it settled down  to a rhythm I could deal with.

I love my job...the thing that I hate is when people say it isn't a REAL job. Well I've been doing it for over thirty years. I have raised three kids by doing it, saved my family by doing it and actually like doing it.

There are a lot of people working jobs they hate but have a degree for. I have my PHD in BS, put it to work every day and come home with a paycheck every night. The better job I do the better I am compensated. It may vary but if I am consistent...it all averages out to my advantage.

A year ago I couldn't even pay attention much less my bills. With help from many and the ability to work day after day after day, I spent the day with my girl picking up bargains...had lunch and helped support another local restaurant, went into work and had my butt kicked but came out the door with a Verizon payment, gas money  and a bank deposit.

Life is good..life is HOT. Growing old as a woman seems to have more set backs than growing old as a man...but then again I don't have to scratch myself constantly or worry about the "Boys."

I tend to worry  more about the boys I am raising, their sister and the ceiling in the kitchen that looks like it is falling through...the leak in the master bath  and on and on and on.

Good thing Tim married me. He works really hard (he does) but I am a tom boy and don't mind taking over. As long as he brings home that check, I'll do more than my fair share. Heck, he should get a medal for just staying married to ME!
breaks. I have changed my schedule to have a day off every week and sometimes more. It's been a long haul but it has been totally worth it.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. It's all about Karma...what goes around comes around. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Live life as if there is no tomorrow...because there isn't until it happens and if if does be grateful you've been given one more chance.

Til next time... COTTON

No comments: