Saturday, January 21, 2012

Modern Technology Has Ruined Our Thinking Process (Or maybe just our ability TO think)

When I was a kid the above photo WAS modern technology to me. I liked the Flintstones okay but dreamed of being a Jetson! I mean when you turn sixteen would you rather borrow your parent's car   you have to push with your bare feet or borrow their super nifty pretty cool looking flying spaceship?

Woke up this morning after working late last night and blogging even later. It looked like it was around 7:30 outside. The street lights were still on. I looked at  the clock by the bed and saw it was almost noon. Then I heard the Tornado siren start. Five minutes later the door bell rang and my ole codger of a neighbor came over to tell us there was a tornado on the ground heading our way...like the siren didn't alert us (but it was still nice of him.)

I immediately ran downstairs to where we keep our homeowners insurance policy and returned upstairs to bed with it to see if we'd finally get that new house, or at least a makeover! No such luck, it blew by... still leaving us with a house that needs more work than my wrinkled old face.

After my mini stay cation of the past two days I felt pretty good. Tim fixed breakfast (earning yet ANOTHER gold star) and we all watched the news as the tornado left the county. I was secretly hoping for a U turn and at least a new roof. No worries, Spring is right around the corner, there's still hope for us!

I fixed some yummy fish tacos with fresh pico de gallo, salsa verde, fresh avocado slices and sour cream for an early dinner for the family and late dinner for me when I got home from work. My sister came by as I was getting ready  to go upstairs to shower for work. She helps run a thrift store for her church and my brother had donated some clothes. He had a raincoat  he told my sister was too big for him and he thought maybe Tim would want it and if he didn't, take it to the thrift shop.

She brought the coat in and said my brother had been out of town on business when it started raining really bad so he bought the raincoat because he didn't have one with him. It was a bit big for him and he meant to have it altered when he got home but never did. I looked at  the coat and said "It's a London Fog!" It was a beautiful long raincoat with lining you could take out. My sister said "I know!  Had it been you or me out of town and it started raining, we would have gone to Wal Mart and bought a two dollar plastic poncho." I laughed and then my sister commented that we should look through all the pockets in case he had inadvertantly left a hundred dollar bill in one of the pockets. She reached in a pocket and pulled out a nice scarf as I shouted "That's MINE you already gave us the coat!" We didn't find a bill but it was still a great coat for Tim (the scarf is still mine.)

Went into work and halfway through a BUSY dinner shift the computers crashed.
 OH MY GOD!!!

Now we ALL had to think. We had to write out orders and special instructions, figure up tabs and taxes, split checks with a lowly manually operated battery powered calculator which seemed to us like using an abbacus. They were only down maybe eight minutes but in the middle of a busy dinner shift it seemed like hours.

We are spoiled products of modern technology. Years ago I used to know a young girl that couldn't read a watch or clock unless it was  digital, how sad of a statement is that for her school system?

Of course I am almost fifty two and felt thrown under the bus having to think on the fly. We were all scrambling around like mice in a maze and sweating bullets. Some customers had to wait maybe five minutes to get their bill but it seemed like an eternity to us servers (and to some of the grumpier less patient customers.)

All said and done... after we were back on line it made me realize how much we all depend on modern technology and how lazy we have gotten in the 'Thinking Department." Technology is great but we need to all remember the time we had to "Use our noggins" and do it a lot more often if you ask me!

Heading to bed...but not before I use my oven timer to let me know when my frozen pizza is ready, they ate all the fish tacos while I was at work.

Til next  time COTTON Jetson!

No comments: