Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Just Crossed The Finish Line!

That's me, the one in the middle...dang, maybe I could stand a few more pounds.

I made it though. It was a long few weeks but most of my bills are current (my definition of current is they stopped calling) and I have enough money to throw a little at the evil money machine in the Verizon store and can buy gas and groceries for dinner.

I looked at my paycheck from the week after Christmas the other day at work. I never get a paycheck...well I do but it says Zero dollars and Zero cents because I claim everything I make. I will be getting Social Security in less than fourteen years and if I lied about what I made, my check would be half of what I will get by claiming every thing. The younger servers just don't get it but they are all in their twenties and retirement seems a million years away to them.

We were balls to the wall the last pay period and I worked 91.49 hours by the stats on my pay stub, and I usually forget to clock in until I get my first table so it was probably more like 95 hours. I claimed over $1284.00 in declared tips and wages. I said to my boss as I sat next to him at  the bar one day between shifts "How can I make over $642.00 a week and still be broke?" He laughed but reminded me that Tim lost a 75K job, was out of work for almost two years so we were 150K behind from the jump. He asked me if it was getting better and I sat there and thought for a minute.

You know, it is. We have worked like crazy and it's just now starting to resemble our old life. It's not the way we used to live but at least our heads are above water. We  still may be treading water but our legs aren't as tired.

The place that has taken the hardest hit is my marriage. I'll have to hand it to Tim, he hasn't killed me yet. I have been a Bee-otch for over two years. I have been frantic I have been manic I have been depressed and I have been certifiable at some points. I  know he has been worried too but just like a man he has been silent and sulking alone. I, on the other hand have worn my heart on my sleeve, bossed  every one in the house around like I was the prison warden from "Cool Hand Luke" with a chip on my shoulder and pretty much made every one else in the house miserable (It's a good feeling when you are a woman and work a lot.)

Next month is Tim's birthday. He will be fifty. I know that I have made him feel like he should have been drawing retirement ten years ago. That's his fault for thinking I was cute when he met me when I was a waitress at Johnny's Pizza on Virginia Ave  back in 1987.

A couple of weeks ago when Massey was working they got slammed at work. I had worked the day shift and was off that night. I called work to check on her and Barb asked if I could come in to help. I went and it was insane. The place was packed, Massey was crying and at least fifteen people stood in the lobby waiting for a table. I bussed tables and ran food, I helped with side work and restocked  ice, polished silverware and reset tables. I never clocked in, I just did it to help Barb (and my girl.)

Len told me when I left after closing (with a free $69 platter of lasagna for the family) that he would treat Tim and me to dinner for a date night...on him.

For Tim's birthday we are going solo to Mama Lucia's and having some great wine and even better food. After that, we are NOT coming home. I'm going to get us a room  at a local hotel and enjoy a night away from the kids, dogs and the memories of the past two years.

I am amazed he has stayed with me. Heck, I even would have left me if I could!

No worries about keeping it a secret. He never reads my blog, he doesn't even know how to find it. He knows I write it but has trouble googling stuff. Sometimes he needs help with the email.

I married a terrific man. Today Massey and I were watching the news before I left for work and they mentioned Towers high school. I remarked  I used to date a guy from Towers. She said "I'm glad you met Daddy...he's pretty good looking for an old dude."

She was right...he IS pretty good looking for an old dude. We started at the bottom twenty two years ago, moved up to a very comfortable life style and sank to the bottom with a big "THUNK" a couple of years ago. We stayed together and weathered the storm with a tremendous amount of help from God, family and friends.

I think Tim will like his birthday present. You know what? I think we BOTH will!

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: