Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A Day For Myself

So if you read my blog you know how terrible (or clever) I am with my checking account. Somehow  all my checks have cleared and that only means one thing to me...I can take a day off!

I had Thanksgiving Day off and have worked eight shifts since. I could tell you  I am embarrassed to be a fifty one year old woman still  living not only paycheck to paycheck but shift to shift. In the grand scheme of things I feel pretty stinking lucky. So what I am just a waitress? If I worked in an office, bank or some big company do you  think I could say "Oh crap, I am fixing to bounce a check, let me stay late and write up two more proposals and do another power point presentation?"

Well you know what? I may be just a "Waitress" but when I need money I just pick up another shift and another shift and when everything is covered THEN I say "Give me a day off."

It's been a while but that day has arrived and I am delighted beyond belief! I got off at nine tonight and don't have to be back at work til Thursday morning. I usually pick up on my off day but by the grace of God and some great regulars  I have enough money to claim being current on my bills. Not ahead (but I like "Baby Steps.")

For two years we have been stressed not only to the max, but sometimes looked back and saw max with his hands up like "What the hell?"

Tim is working again and it is a great job with much room for advancement. Me , I am still just a waitress ...but at a restaurant that has not only given me a chance but  helped us not only over the hump but urged us forward.

They let me work like a demon for almost two years, shift after shift after shift. That's the way when you are a server. If you work you make money, if you take a day off you  take a pay cut. I have been there about a year and a half and have taken off maybe twenty days. Not because of them but because of ME!

But we have battled back, I have paid quite a few NSF fees and have a new branch of my bank opening thanks to my generosity. (There better be a plaque of me on the wall in the lobby)

I am on the cusp of being right on the brink of being almost there!

I used to think I would retire when I was sixty five...that's probably the funniest thing I have said in a while.

I work with kids in  their twenties who whine like babies when they have to work a double shift. I am fifty one and grateful to have a job where I can work day after day after day until my bills are paid. THEN I take a day off!

Guess what? WOOT WOOT... hell YEAH...True THAT and SEE YA! I finally have it all covered , a fire in the fireplace a cold one in my hand and not stepping out of my house til Thursday morning! I still have family and friends to pay back  but  lucky for me they haven't enforced late fees (but do not think I have forgotten.)

Of course when I go back on Thursday it is another double shift and so is Friday...but you know what? I will get back on top sooner than  sissies who are scared of working hard...

I am just lucky to have a job that allows me to work when I want and thankfully they love it when I do!

Somebody tell Santa all I want for Christmas is a hour long foot massage...

Til next  time...COTTON

No comments: