Tuesday, October 4, 2011

When You Hit Fifty Reality Slaps You Around

I've been slapped around quite a bit for over two years now but at least I am alive to feel the sting.

Attended yet another funeral today. You know you are in your fifties when you go to more funerals than weddings. Most are for parents of friends, some have been for fallen soldiers and today was for my sister's dear childhood, high school, college and life long friend. Her life ended way too early but it was time to end her pain and suffering..."Only the good die young" and she was right there at the top of the "Good" list.

It was good to see many of my former Russell "Wildcats" (our high school mascot.) I went to the same high school that my father went to. He graduated in 1942. My sister from there in 1971 my brother in 75 and I graduated in 78.

When my sis went there,  a neighbor of ours was the captain of the cheer leading team and her family actually owned a wildcat  they brought to games on a leash and kept  in the "cheer leading pit" with the girls. I think it was actually an  ocelot. They kept it I guess in a cage at their house and brought it out only on game day. I suppose this was before PETA.

The high school I went to was "the bomb.com." A great band program and a football team that was feared with good reason. My sister's future husband was the star quarter back, a Golden Gloves champion boxer and she was the Homecoming queen, Valentine queen and pretty much the queen of the high school (not in a snobby way...I just have a really terrific sister that is very hard NOT to love.)

Russell people keep in touch. We have reunions like people our age have blood pressure checks. We have band reunions, we have all year reunions and we have FB reunions online. We have sites to join about not only our school but the area of the town we grew up in.

When you grow up in a close knit community you remain close knit...even if it means having to pick up a phone or put a stamp on an envelope

 In this age of outlandish and mentally overwhelming technology it amazes me what the power of a click of the  mouse can do.

I have met and re connected with so many many friends. They have followed my journey which I have willingly put  into cyberspace for possibly millions to read. If you are ashamed of your life,  THAT is a shame.

I welcome comments and suggestions and have been helped time after time  for putting MY life out here.

I am lucky to be a child of the sixties and seventies. I am lucky to have grown up in a time when  front doors weren't locked and all the windows were left open. If  only the world was still as trusting and honest, we would be moving forward. Instead our doors are locked and we are battling each other for political and religious reasons.

It is time to take back our lives. To return to moral values and hopefully run every current politician out of office. It is time to say "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore."

It was a good day...I woke up on this side of the dirt. I saw a friend that was an amazing individual, mother, wife and HUGE Braves fan go before me.

What can "I" do to make a difference? That should be the question  every person asks themselves every morning when they are lucky enough to wake up.

Rest In Peace...

COTTON

No comments: