Thursday, September 22, 2011

"MY" Day Off

Worked the day shift yesterday, day 22 of my work week. Got off and picked Massey up from school and let her drive. My feet were killing me my back was screaming in pain and I thought maybe my heart palpitations were beginning to be real. I asked her not to wreck the car because I had my head against the headrest and my eyes were closed. I was close to a total physical and mental breakdown.

We went by  the grocery store to buy some food . A friend of Zach's lived with us for about six months needing a place to live. He's a good kid and we wanted him to finish high school and have a roof over his head so he moved into our barely modest almost  functional house. He graduated in a gown I borrowed from a neighbor that fit him like a bath robe. He is easily six foot six with his slouch.

Yesterday was his birthday so I cooked for him. Since moving into our humble hovel he has saved money , bought his own car and just recently moved out and into his own apartment. It took me a week to realize he was gone. Nineteen year old boy/men come and go at their own will and he was always so unobtrusive that it made it hard to notice.

Zach said his friend wanted  pot roast for dinner. That's easy enough (especially if you already have a five pound bag of taters at the house that Zach could start peeling.)

Got home and threw a roast into a pan and cracked a beer. It may be HIS birthday but I was celebrating having a long awaited day off. It took me a while but I had all bills paid (with help from Tim or me helping Tim...depending on who you ask...totally kidding, it's just a woman thing) but was tickled pink that for the first time in over two years I could take a day off and know that the phone wouldn't ring with a collection agent on the other end or that the lights would go off during dinner.

Cleaned up as all the teens (five party guests) ate and sent each of them home packing left overs.
I fell onto the couch, not having enough energy left to climb the stairs and CRASHED.

I woke at 3:12 AM to a crack of lightning and went outside to shut my garage door. I fell back onto the couch and snored along with my two pups. Tim had to go into work at 4:30 so I had to crawl off the couch and take Massey to school. I came back home and slept til ten. I watched the news for an hour and when the thunder started again I thought "That's what I'm talking about"..and rolled over and went back to sleep. I didn't move for three more hours but heard rain coming down like it was time to build an ark. I could have done a lot of stuff on my day off...but I didn't.

Zach was actually very helpful . When I arose from my Sleeping Beauty nap the dishes were done, the trash was out and the ice cream van was gone from my driveway. It was raining like crazy but to me it was "A Sunny Day."

It took three weeks of working straight but for the first time in over two years we managed to get almost, kinda ahead. What a wonderful feeling. It was hard but I got rewarded with a much needed  foureen hour nap, gave Gabe a birthday dinner and awoke to a missing ice cream van that I have wanted to be missing for weeks. (Thanks Kevin O...we won't charge you for free parking)

My life is crazy but I almost kinda like it that way...keeps me on my toes!

Til next time...Lather , rinse and repeat COTTON

No comments: