Friday, September 23, 2011

I Think I Slept Too Much

Call me crazy (you won't be the first) but I just think I am geared to working every day. After 22 days straight I had a day and a half off and it just made it harder to go back into work. I didn't shower for two days...slept 14 hours the first day off and 14 more the next. I managed to put on more deodorant and furiously brush my teeth before I went to the grocery store but wore a ball cap to hold my fly away short hair down and looked at no one while I shopped quickly.

I did manage to get some laundry done and actually cooked two meals for my family that was beginning to squat naked in the floor of our living room holding tin pans out in front of them with flies buzzing around their  faces like a commercial for the Christian Children's Fund. (Not to dis the CCF and I apologize in advance...to them AND my family)

I slept a total of 28 hours in a day and a half. If time had permitted and the buzzing of the flies hadn't woke me I might still be asleep.

I have determined that for the long haul of getting us back on track I am better suited to just work day after day after day. Heck!  Families running convenience stores seem to do it, why can't I?

I went into work tonight and felt like I had been off a week.  I felt like co workers were thinking "Slacker!" every time they asked how my day off was?

I have been a server ever since I earned my degree in "Night Clubs and Dancing" from Georgia Southern and put my PHD in BS to work. I have always worked six days a week, even when we were doing okay and am just used to it. It's gotten me to the age of fifty one and I still feel pretty good so why mess with what's working?

I know I embarrass Massey with the limited amount of clothes I wear in the summer, especially when I am working in the yards but she doesn't realize what hot flashes can do to a woman and how weighing ninety nine pounds lets you get away with it.

Now it is almost 2 AM and I feel like it is around ten at night. I stand by my theory that days off are over rated.

I got my month's worth of sleep in two days and I am ready to go again. I put fly paper up in the living room and enough leftovers in the refrigerator to get me through another week.

Call me stupid (you won't be the first) but I LIKE working. If you don't work you don't get ahead. If you don't get ahead you don't advance. If you don't advance you either stay the same or fall behind.

I am moving ahead, advancing and looking forward to the day that I will have not only paid all my bills but paid back all the people that have helped me  along, supported me and filled a few of those tin plates my kid's held out in the living room floor as they squatted and batted the flies away.

Once again, and I never get tired of saying it...I am a lucky, lucky woman!

I'm starting to feel tired again... COTTON

No comments: