Monday, September 12, 2011

Gotta Have More "ME" Days...

Took a good friend of mine to Lil 5 in Atlanta today...her first visit to the planet. We window shopped and people watched. I decided she needed a lube job so I took her to The Varsity for lunch. She is a health nut but I am a grease monkey.
I called a friend of mine from high school who works in downtown Atlanta and she met us for lunch (kinda.) I called her when we were leaving Lil 5 which is five minutes away from The Varsity and she said she would just walk over and meet us. I got back on the highway and took the first exit when my cell phone rang. She said "I just saw you get off the exit, I am walking a block behind you." I pulled over and saw her in my rear view mirror half running up Peachtree Street in her dress and heels. We waited by  the curb for her to catch up and she jumped in the car.

My friend from work has never eaten at The Varsity... that was made obvious when she ordered a grilled chicken sandwich. I didn't even know they sold chicken at The Varsity. She is a health fanatic and only drinks Almond Milk. (I didn't even know almond's had boobs)

 I ordered a chili steak , onion rings and a Co-Cola.  My friend from high school ordered a slaw dog , fries and two PC's.  We urged her to at least get some onion rings and she did. Dang, if you don't have some grease it ain't eating at The Varsity!

Downtown Atlanta is a crazy place...lots of suicide lanes and one way streets, people randomly either talking to you or screaming at you...especially around The Varsity (Whadda Ya HAVE?)

You'll have to google that phrase if you don't live in Atlanta but if you grew up here you'll know exactly what I mean.

We dropped my friend back off by her office after eating and were sitting at a red light when a car pulled up beside us. When it's two women in a convertible with the top down sitting at a red light in downtown Atlanta on a sunny day,  the car in the lane next to you chats with you. It's like the next door neighbor peering over the fence to talk. He asked what year my car was and was close enough to smack us if he wanted to. He went on about my car and then started on a story about his car. By the time the light changed we were BFF's.

I absolutely love going into Atlanta, always have. I  grew up on the outskirts and have been driving in downtown since I was seventeen years old. My mother died shortly after my seventeenth birthday and I used to drive myself to my orthodontist appointments off  Moore's Mill Road , three exits past downtown Atlanta.

I don't think they should let kids drive at sixteen anymore unless they live in Mayberry and the year is still 1963 but I don't write the laws...I just skirt 'em.

 I monitor my nineteen year old son's activities in my car by the odometer after he brings it back and do the fake brake check or dashboard grab to keep my daughter with a learner's permit on HER toes.

They will both be in their twenties before I let them take my car into downtown Atlanta. Til then it is MY town and MY fun. A woman's gotta have some "ME" time.


Til Next Time..Cruising COTTON

No comments: