Thursday, September 29, 2011

Finally Get To Enjoy Having Smart Kids..

 Massey was inducted into The National Honor Society today..."Cotton style."
 I got off work at 4:12 and the ceremony started at 4:30.
As usual I had NO minutes to spare. Zach picked me up from work at 4:00 as I sat in my owner's chair in the office for twelve minutes  trying to fax a menu to a customer. I had sent it three times with "No answer" coming back on the fax. I copied and pasted it and asked the hostess to finish trying to deliver it. I told her to just send it email and scurried out the back door with my banana nut muffins and brownies the cooks had baked for me to take to the candle light ceremony.

I am a pretty good cook when I have the time. I am a TERRIBLE baker. The Latino cook who baked my brownies was appalled when he saw  I had cut up the brownies and covered them with plastic wrap. In HIS words... "Are you stupid as f*** or WHAT? You doan cover the bitc*** up when they are still warm you stupid. They sweat and get mushy."

Another lesson learned (the hard way.)

I am new at this whole National Honor Society thing.

 My oldest son graduated with a 3.9 GPA but never joined the NHS. My younger son could have blown them all off the map with the amazing gift of intelligence he somehow possesses  but chooses to fight the broken educational and judicial system and point out in detail it's every fault and fallacy (he is totally right about the broken part) seeming to want the system fixed before he even considers returning to it.. I feel his pain... and know he is right in much of his theory and thinking but am waiting for his  marvelous and intelligent mind to kick in and realize you can fight the problem or help solve it.

I snuck in under the wire...the principal was already speaking but my muffins and brownies had "Effing" cooled and were good to go. I slid them onto a table and sat down to watch.

I had slithered out of my work shirt in the parking lot and pulled on a  respectable top while my son remarked "This ain't Ole women gone crazy."

I saw my girl walk across the front of the room to sign her name in the book of The National Honor Society and  think I was the only parent in attendance that cried. I am serious...I couldn't stop!! I tried to act like I was yawning or that something had flown into my eye. My older two  are males and could care less about joining NHS...my girl is a young woman and knows "This is it!" I can make my mark  now and challenge myself daily or sit back and wait for it to happen.

My boys will do great too (when they meet a woman to shove them down the path of life) but have both learned  the hard way. Massey has realized early "I am a kid...I have one shot before I am tossed into the chaos of this world. I can make the most of my life or I  can  watch as life passes me by."

I felt like an idiot but when my girl's name was called (and they pronounced it correctly) I balled like a baby.

When you have kids, never expect them to all be the same...just expect to love them all the same!

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: