Saturday, August 27, 2011

Goodnight, Irene (Hopefully)

I just love this picture! I bet every other meteorologist is jealous of him...you know, the dude with the huge warm front that stretches  three states.

I watched the hurricane all day today and followed it's progress. I am a weather geek (I guess there are a LOT worse things I could be.) I have always been terrified of tornadoes yet fascinated with them at the same time. One time about ten years ago one ripped through our community and while I had all three kids and the dog hunkered down in the laundry room with a battery operated radio I was glued to the front door peering out at the pine trees in my neighbor's yard across the street bent at a ninety degree angle. I just couldn't look away, it was mesmerizing! The kid's were screaming for me to join them in the laundry room but they were packed in like sardines anyway and someone had to look out for the funnel cloud. I never saw the actual funnel cloud but after the storm my husband had to walk two miles to the house  to get home because of the debris, leaving his truck parked on the side of the road.

Tsunami's  are the ultimate fascination. I watched the videos from Thailand over and over again.

Mother Nature is a mighty beast and it seems as of late, God seems to be pretty pissed at us too.

After my eight hour marathon of watching Irene do her worst I trudged into work. It was slow...the Falcons were playing and since I work in Georgia where people are scared of any kind of weather alert I imagined people packing into Home Depot for supplies just in case Irene did a double back and hit us too.

Since it was slow I was forced to find ways to humor myself....it didn't take long.

Hoke was working tonight (see previous post) and his section was  in the front of the restaurant which is close to NOTHING you need when waiting on tables. It is a section of tables far away from the kitchen, the bread oven, the soda tower and and to go items you need. There is a computer sitting on a china cabinet that holds napkins and extra silver ware. When Hoke works the front he stashes every thing he can up there for his use. He takes the best pepper mill and a cheese grater and a couple of sugar caddies and hides them on the side boards of the cabinet. He loads up the bottom drawer with to go boxes and to go bags  and thinks he's all "Snug as a bug in a rug" in his own little private Idaho. The top drawer is filled with dinner knives, dinner forks and salad forks to reset tables.

Me and my partner in crime "Janine" decided to mess with Hoke. Alternating turns we went to the china cabinet up front and took away his to go boxes and bags. The we went back and took all of his forks and knives and replaced them with nothing but soup spoons. We took away his pepper mill when he wasn't looking and took away his cheese grater and sugar caddies. I went back a few minutes later and noticed he had re-supplied his to go boxes and bags, and took them with me again. I went back and replaced them with two packs of de-caf coffee...the most least used thing in the restaurant and decided to take all of the staples out of the stapler kept there to staple credit card receipts to tickets.

It took him an hour to finally catch on to us but by then we had made him work harder than he had to and that was worth at least twenty bucks of fun for me and "Janine."

I work with an eclectic bunch...heck I consider myself eclectic so I guess I am in the right place. We have fun when we can and  pull together when we need to.

 I don't know if they love me at my store or love my ability to make work fun...it may be a toss up. All I know is that it is so fabulous to work for a family instead of a corporation. I think I do a pretty bang up job for them and as a bonus they keep me around for entertainment purposes. I think I fulfill both jobs , maybe I should ask for a raise!

Headed back to watch the hopeful demise of Irene on the tube and headed back to work tomorrow for another gig at the restaurant. Life is looking up, life is good and always remember "Life is what you make it."

Til next  time...COTTON



No comments: