Friday, July 8, 2011

From the Redwood Forest to the Cell Phone Tower...

So this is the new cell phone tower in our area. I'm not too sure what to think except that as my sister said "At least they are trying."

I waited on a couple of regulars today at work that live in the subdivision across the street from it and asked them what they thought about the new cell phone tower, to which they replied "What cell phone tower?" (and they weren't kidding)

Of course they are both ninety years old and may not be  techno savvy. I should have said "How do you like the new Jitterbug tower?" I told them about it and they seemed all excited to have something new to look  for on their road trip back home (all of five miles)

They are a precious couple, both veterans of WWII. He was a bomber pilot and she was in the Navy. They are both in amazing shape and consider doctor appointments to be like hair appointments. They had just come from the doctor where she  learned she had high cholesterol. Her husband was already on medication for it and it's a good thing because he ordered the antipasto for lunch. He thought he was being good ordering a salad. The  problem is it has salami, cappicola, prosciutto and cheese. I guess if you live to be ninety you can pick your poison. It's not like your going to wake up tomorrow morning and suddenly and be thirty again.

They remind me of the Schumakers from the movie Dirty Dancing...remember the old couple that stole the wallets ? Of course this couple is honest and above board, but shuffle along at a slow pace and  take five minutes to get from  the front door of the restaurant to their table to sit down. (chalk up another  road trip in their day)

I don't want to live to be ninety on a respirator. I want to live to be ninety just like them...fully alert (they catch all my funny quips and think I am funnier than Phyllis Diller) and in great health considering they will hit the century mark in less than a decade...that's like a week from now to them!

It was painfully slow at work tonight but on the upside I got off early and got home in time to blog, do some laundry and relax before my nightly sweat session starts.

I am fifty one... only a little over half way to the Schumacker's milestone. Better a milestone than a head stone!

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: