Thursday, June 2, 2011

Letting Go...It's Hard

I can tell this is a really old photo because my carpet is still clean. My first Boxer has reached the end of her journey with our family. I have put it off for months, dreaded it for weeks and tomorrow the day will arrive...she will be at rest.

Rosie is the sweetest dog you could ever be lucky enough to meet and have lick you..and lick you and lick you. You have to tell her to stop because her love has no boundaries. She is the Alpha dog in our house and the two males have never questioned it but both revere her as does our entire family. She started limping about a year ago, when we couldn't even pay the mortgage much less buy dog food. They ate our leftovers and wore Dollar Store flea collars. She's  had a rapid decline the past few months and I have finally determined we are not thinking of her best interests but our own, we don't want to say good bye to her.

We have her resting place ready, a friend of Zach's (since he is a temporary cripple) dug a grave for her in the very back of our back yard. He was finishing it up today when I told him thank you. The kid simply said "I consider it an honor."

People that don't own or love dogs can't understand the sorrow I feel...I am losing a kid, and the only kid that has never caused me any grief or talked smack to me. She never complained when she didn't eat for a day and never griped when I gave her Old Roy instead of Iams. She used to chase Zach in the back yard when he was little pulling his shorts down when he tried to scramble up onto the play fort before she caught him...he never once beat her, she was quick as lightning then. She is old now, almost 11 and that is old for a Boxer. She's had a good life and I will miss her happy face. Ham has a proud look, Charlie has a look like "Huh?" and Rosie always seems to be smiling.

A friend from the vet is coming over tomorrow to give her a shot that will let her go in her own surroundings. I thought about taking her to the vet but even healthy dogs know something is up when you take them into a vet's office. It can just be for a check up but it makes them nervous and apprehensive. I don't want Rosie to leave this world feeling anything but love and familiar surroundings.

She can't even walk anymore and has to be helped outside. She has begun to have accidents in the house and you can tell it bothers her. It is the first time I have ever recognized humiliation on a dog's face but it made me realize she is ready...it's we that aren't.

I am planting a rose bush on top of her grave...it will be our "Rosie Garden."

Every time it blooms I will think of  the years we had with her. Dogs just don't live long enough.
She will be missed but  always  remembered.

She'll be up in heaven and once again  be that perky puppy we fell in love with almost eleven years ago.

Both the male dogs are behind me as I type,  licking away on Rosie. They may be dogs but they are smarter than most people give them credit for.

Here's to you, Rosie!!

As Zach's friend so eloquently put it "It's been an honor!"

Til next time...COTTON

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kelly and family, I will be thinking of you during this difficult time. I have been in your shoes before and it is not a good feeling. Our dogs become family and are just like our kids. I am sure Rosie is so grateful to be so LOVED! If I can do anything please let me know. Rest in peace Rosie and tell my sweet angels that I love and miss them!