Saturday, February 19, 2011

Somebody Stop This Ride and Let Me Off...

I just HAD to use this picture...I laughed so hard when I saw it and can identify with it completely. Working in the service industry can lead ANYONE to drink!

Tonight was one of those nights.

Number one I was ticked before I even went to work when none of my work shirts were clean.

My eighteen year old son had a load of his clothes in the dryer and another load sitting wet in the washer. I appreciate the fact that he does his own laundry (sorta) but for Pete's sake finish what you start!

I had one shirt out in the car that I had talked the owner's wife into giving me. It was a small and all my shirts are extra small. She told me it was too big for me and I balked.

I'm tired of being considered "Extra small" and consider it "Pound Discrimination."

I told Barb I had gained ten pounds since I had started working for them and the shirt would fit me just fine. It would probably help if I had bigger boobs but seeing as I'm already fifty... I don't see that happening.

I planned on using the shirt as a clutch hitter but had to call it to the plate today. I was mad that Zach had my laundry room held hostage and sprayed the new shirt down with starch and ironed it. It looked kinda big but I attributed it to being brand new.

I went into work wearing my potato sack and even the 18 year old hostess said it looked "Kinda big and floppy."

It is meant to be worn un tucked but after Barb saw me in it we decided to go the "Tucked" route.

Then the cartoon began...

When it gets REALLY busy at a restaurant it is total insanity...We like to call it "Controlled Chaos" but sometimes you lose the "Control" part for a span of time that in actuality is only an hour but feels like ten.

I have been at this store for almost a year and feel pretty confident most every shift. Tonight I lost all confidence in myself for about thirty minutes, which seemed like thirty days.

Was it still Saturday? Has my table been waiting five minutes or has half a hour passed?

You lose all concept of time and just keep pushing on trying to remind yourself that it will all be over with soon. I tried not to make eye contact with anyone else's tables, scared they would flag me down and want something. I was in a pinball machine bouncing through the pins hoping not to "Tilt."

It wasn't just me...every server had a look on their face like a deer in headlights...sheer panic.

At one point, my ole buddy Hoke passed me in the alley of the kitchen and said "We'll be laughing about this in a hour." I didn't have time to slap him or even respond...and that's totally out of character for me.

But he was right...one hour later it was all over with.

Two hours later I un tucked my potato sack and clocked out with a nice pay day in my pocket.

I am still not sure why I have chosen this profession... it just seems to fit me well (unlike my new shirt.)

I like selling our great product to people and making their dinner seem like they bought tickets to my own personal show.

Sometimes when I have a particularly good shift and have "Wowed" not only my customers but made my co workers laugh their butts off...I clock out and announce "That concludes my show for this evening, please come back tomorrow to catch my matinee AND dinner performance."

If you've never been a server... I hope this gives you a small glimpse into our wacky world. If you HAVE been a server...you will totally "Get" the above photo.

Ironing a shirt that fits...going to bed and doing it all again. I have two shows tomorrow, lunch AND dinner ...if you live in Newnan, come catch one of them...I promise to make eye contact with you!

Til next time COTTON

No comments: