Thursday, February 24, 2011

Are You Listening Or Even Paying Attention?

I took my VW to have the broken hose fixed today only to discover one was broken on the other side of the engine as well.

Seems to me if MY mechanic noticed the second broken hose...the mechanic at the VW dealership would have noticed it when we purchased the first one . It was the size of a cork and cost $40. The second hose has a small nipple on it which will certainly cost at least $20 more...you know how expensive nipples are!

At least I am halfway to having my car fixed and twice as far along as I was yesterday! Gotta keep thinking positive thoughts.

Took Massey some dinner by the high school where she had 9 AM to 9 PM practice....sometimes I wonder if she is training for the Olympics?

Headed to work and my first table almost put me over the edge. They were nice enough, actually VERY nice people but with the current pressure I am under and the fact that I am fifty, menopausal and sweat like Mel Gibson at The Apollo after a cup of coffee doesn't help my patience.

It was a table of four . I took the first person's order and when I asked what type dressing they wanted on their salad they asked what kind we had? I say the dressings in the same order every time..."Italian vinaigrette, Balsamic vinaigrette, Lemon Basil, Mediterranean, Bleu cheese, Ranch and for fifty cents more a Caesar salad."

I took the next person's order and when I asked what type dressing they wanted they said "What do you have?"

I said sweetly "Italian vinaigrette, Balsamic vinaigrette, Lemon basil, Mediterranean, Bleu cheese, Ranch and for fifty cents more a Caesar salad.

Guess what happened with the third person to order? I kid you not...

When the fourth person ordered and asked me the same question, I wanted to scream at them "ITALIAN , BALSAMIC, MEDITERRANEAN, LEMON BASIL, BLEU CHEESE, RANCH AND FOR FIFTY CENTS MORE A CAESAR SALAD...ARE YA DEAF OR JUST STUPID??"

I took a deep breath, felt sweat trickling down between my "A" cup bra and reminded myself this was my job...leading sheep and herding them in the right direction. Their destination was to have a wonderful meal and I was the "Go To" person for that to happen. They came to me for a great meal and I made it happen. Most people think waiting table's is a cake walk and it is if you are slacker.

I consider it my profession...BIG DIFFERENCE.

This profession has been good to me and I truly think I am good at it. It's just like any other job, sometimes you get fed up and want to scream.

That is when professionalism comes into play. I wanted to say "Did you not realize I gave you a menu with EVERYTHING in black and white to lead you through your order or did you think the hostess gave you the menu to fan me with to keep my sweat stains to a minimum?"

At least my life is on the rebound and I can take dummies with a grain of salt and still make them love me before they leave my table.

Getting my second hose (with the nipple) tomorrow and hopefully my "Check Engine" light will go off so I can get an Emissions sticker before March. My tag expired on my husband's birthday, February 12 (which I forgot...therefore forgetting my tag was expiring).

I guess I'm good to go until March... at least I hope so.

It doesn't really matter to me (but it really does.)

I discovered that I am extremely proficient and have learned to work, bend and make things happen.

In other words..."I am a Wife and Mother and have no greater love or focus than being JUST that! "

I think I'll be okay..." I gots the BIG Guy in my corner!"

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: