Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Another Winter Storm..."Seriously"?

WOW!

By the looks of this forecast, seems we have "one humdinger" of a storm approaching.

I am just putting all money on the groundhog and hoping Winter will be behind us in a few short weeks.

I know that I am a sissy about cold weather...but Georgians are FREAKS about any mention of snow or any type of frozen precipitation. They don't wait to see if it really happens, they start freaking people out at least three days in advance and once the first flake falls all channels run 24 hour weather coverage.

The last snow storm dumped maybe two inches of snow and school was out for the entire week. I know people in Wisconsin and Maine were laughing at us...I think I heard them cackling as they shoveled out of their front door to stick their kids on the school bus or even make them walk to school.

I realize the south isn't as prepared for adverse winter weather but with increasing global warming and freakish weather that has been occurring the last couple of years...why not invest in more than 3 snow plows for the largest city in the southeastern United States?

A couple of weeks ago when the forecasters told us the Big Storm was "acomin'" three days in advance...all the grocery stores were out of milk and eggs with huge signs on the dairy case that read "Due to inclement weather we are currently out of milk and eggs".

The sign SHOULD have read "Due to the mere mention of inclement weather three days from now, we are currently out of milk and eggs because of not only poor planning but freaked out Southerners".

So here we go again...

When we got hit a couple of weeks ago here...up north there was over ten inches of snow on the ground and kids were still attending school and all government offices were still open.

I wonder if they freak out up north when in July their forecasters say "It's going to be 98 degrees tomorrow...plan your emergency strategy now...don't wait for all the window units to be snapped up by retired people with nothing left but spare time or for all the flip flops to be wiped off the shelves. Emergency centers will be open to hand out free sunscreen and wet washcloths while supplies last".

Do they put their forecasters on a 24 hour newscast feed? I can just imagine the reporters...

"It seems all daisy dukes have been wiped off the shelves and people are standing in line at the Red Cross for free Bermuda shorts and tank tops while supplies last... Now let's toss it over to Ted who is at the local WalMart where people are fighting over window fans and plastic wading pools".

It's all over facebook..."Snow coming" "Another big storm" ...

Seriously?

I am a firm believer in being prepared...but I am also a firm believer that a couple of inches of snow won't wipe people off the face of the Earth, even if it is in the deep South.

My biggest fear is that I will run out of dog food or that I have mis-guessed how much gas I really have in the tank of my car. My big worries are that people will give into the scare and stay sequestered in their houses and no one will go out to eat, putting a serious crunch on my ability to make a living.

Even my teens are sick of the "Snow Scare Syndrome".

It's like we NEED something to worry about in the South or we just aren't connected to the rest of the world.

I say we turn the tables and start worrying about some REAL crap!

Let's have a 24/7 newscast about getting everyone a job. Let's have a round the clock report on the mortgage crisis. Let's have a call in show twenty four hours a day for people that have no medical insurance but have serious health problems.

How about a 24 hour news feed on the pitiful way politicians waste their time and OUR money on back biting and working against each other every chance they get and every time they open their crooked mouths?

These are programs I might not only watch but call in to!

But just like the rest of the Southern sheep...following their Southern herd, I will go to the store tomorrow to make sure I have plenty of dog food and at least five dollars worth of gas in my car so I can drive to work and wait on the few Northern transplants that will brave the storm to actually get in their car and go out to eat.

God bless the Yankees and may God have mercy on our scared Southern sissies!

Til next time... Cold but Courageous COTTON

No comments: