Sunday, January 30, 2011

It's a Winter Guard "Wonderland"

Yesterday was Massey's first competition of the 2011 season. It took tons of favors, switching shifts and having to work double shifts the next four days but I got the night off.

Of course it was 50 miles away and I drove up myself. I googled directions and wrote them down (printer out of black ink). The directions said it would take one hour and 17 minutes. They performed at 6:42 so I left a little before 5:oo.

I never got on an interstate, the directions took me through county roads and dumped me at my destination without ever having to battle highway traffic.

I did GREAT until the last 8 miles. It said to take Macland Rd. for 8.4 miles and the turn off for the school would be on the right. I turned onto Macland and started the last 8.4 miles. About one mile in I noticed that I was now on Lost Mountain Rd. I didn't like the "Lost" part and turned around. I went back to the intersection and turned back onto another road "New Macland" and went 8.4 miles to discover I wasn't on "Lost Mountain Road" but I was "Lost".

Still had thirty minutes to get there and tried it again. The next road curved and turned and led me back to my starting point on Macland.

I asked every person who pulled up to me at a red light if they knew where Harrison high school was? The first van next to me was filled with amigos and I think they thought I wanted to join their merry band.

Next was a woman that looked at me like I was going to jump out of my car and knife her to death...no response from her.

The third woman at least headed me in the right direction.

I passed the same intersection for a third time, with fifteen minutes to go when I pulled into a high school that seemed to be having some sort of event. There was a cop in a golf cart and that was just what I wanted to see.

I asked him for directions and he told me "Go 8 miles down Lost Mountain Road and hang a right".

I jumped back in my car...ten minutes before the guard was to go on.

I made it to the school with four minutes to spare. The place was packed and I immediately worried about finding a close parking space. I turned down the first isle knowing it was a lost cause. I got to the end and had to do a three point turn to turn around. As I put my car in reverse...it appeared out of nowhere, a space labeled RESERVED. I said to myself..."You're dadgum right, it's reserved for ME".

I flat out ran to the the school...paid for my ticket and didn't even have time to put my wrist band on that shows I paid...I just waved it at the door as I screeched around the corner to the gym.

They shut the doors between performances and you can't get in until the current show is over.

I was wheezing and more out of breath than I was on my honeymoon night when I told the woman guarding the door that I was there to see East Coweta. She looked down at her program and said "They are almost through with their show".

My heart dropped, my wheezing increased and I was already thinking how I could say to Massey "You were GREAT" !! and make it sound sincere, with my fingers crossed behind my back?

I asked the woman to let me peak through the door window to at least catch a glimpse of their show.

I didn't recognize one girl or see any of the props that went with the show.

I finally saw Massey's guard waiting in the wings to go one next... "Thank You Sweet Jesus, I made it".

Thirty seconds later they were announcing that next up was East Coweta.

I give new meaning to the saying "By the skin of my teeth".

I flew into the gym and bounded up to the top of the gym to film their premier performance.

As Massey came out to set up her flags I whistled loud and screamed out "GO MASSEY" so she would know I had made it.

I felt like I had run a marathon. Thirty seconds later they started their show. My hands were shaking, I was out of breath and felt like I was gasping for the next one but "I made it".

It's something about loving your kid. It's something about God letting you make the important deadlines.

I made it! I had two minutes to spare when I bought my ticket.

They were awesome and the envy of every other group. They got penalized for taking too long to set up. Without the penalty they would have taken second place. They got fifth...not too shabby and let the rest of the guard world know what kind of a fabulous show they have.

I have been sucked into this world, the "Guard" world.

It's not a thing that I dread, it's a thing that I am proud my daughter is a part of.

I am old (compared to them) but their dedication and commitment keeps me going.

We are SO close here at the house. We are SO close to being back to normal...if you can ever call a COTTON normal.

I am so glad that Massey has chosen to part of this great group. I have included a video of the crowd of guard's sitting in the stands...waiting on the final scores.

It's a different world, the guard world. It is a world that I feel honored to be a part of.




No comments: