Thursday, December 9, 2010

Overstating the Season?

Massey and I were coming home from her guard practice the other night when we passed a house that during the Summer months and always in daylight looks pretty bad.
 It was dark and their house was all aglow with Christmas lights and looked beautiful. I remarked to Massey they needed to leave their lights up year round.
 It amazes me that people could care less about cutting their grass during the Summer or could care less about picking up trash and debris in their yard...but come Christmas they fall over themselves stringing lights and  placing nativity scenes all over their once cluttered yard.
I got these pictures off of google images. Massey actually downloaded them for me while I was cooking dinner and every fifteen seconds she would yell "Come look at THIS one!"
 The photo right above looks like the yard of an obvious "Christmas Decoration Hoarder" It is just a cluster of lighted crap if you ask me...but that's just me. We'll call this "Christmas Vomit."
 This picture above gives me a headache just looking at it.
Here above we have a house that seems like it was most likely decorated with "Electric gift tags."

I used to decorate every year. I used the same colored lights on the bushes by the garage and the same clear lights on the bushes by the front door. If the weather ever warms up I may go out and string them again but I could never imagine decorating my house like these houses.

There is a house on the way to the high school that really went all out last year. It seems to house a family of about twenty and there are at least six people out on the porch or wandering the yard at any time of the day.  Last year they even went as far as SPRAY PAINTING their message across the front of their house with white spray paint...problem was, they spray painted "Merry Chistmas."

HELLO??   You left the "R" out of Christmas!

Every day when Massey and I would ride by we would tell each other "Merry Chistmas." I guess there's no spell check for painting across the front of your house.

I spent my entire day listening for that stupid "Jingle Bell Rock" to play twice. I guess it would be too easy for them to play it twice when I had a day off...they'll play it tomorrow when I have to work a double shift.

Don't worry...I'll be ready! I have the radio station programmed into all our cell phones and house phone. I even taught myself how to use the redial button on the phones at work.

I am beginning to get out my OWN decorations...they seem puny compared to these pics but my decorations are all wonderful memories. I have a framed Christmas card my mother gave her own mother when she was still in high school. I have framed letters that my kids wrote to Santa. I have Zach's wish list from Kindergarten that still warms my heart every time I see it.

I have ornaments  that hung on our Christmas tree when I was a little girl. I still have the Nativity Scene my mother made in ceramics in the 1960's. So the donkey lost an ear and baby Jesus only has one arm but I cherish it and put it out every year.

I am beginning to feel "Christmasy" myself!

Making cheese straws tomorrow night after I get off work (my fave) and dragging out all my OWN decorations . Some are in the attic, some are in the garage and some are still in the livivng room closet (for easy access.)

My house may not look like the ones pictured here...but the message will be the same:

"Welcome to MY Christmas...hope yours is Merry too."

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: