Saturday, December 11, 2010

Blessed....Again

When I think about what Santa would really look like it is  the above picture. It's gotta be a real beard and those beautiful blue eyes.

Seems like Santa comes in many sizes shapes and forms these days.

I decided to go put a down payment on a Letterman jacket for Massey today. Another guard mom emailed about a place that sells them much cheaper than ordering them through the school. I knew we really couldn't afford it but work has picked up like crazy and sometimes you just get tired of not being able to do something nice for your kids.

I know I spoil Massey so on the way I decided to go ahead and spoil Zach too...whether he wanted it or not. There is a great consignment shop in a neighboring town that was on the way to the Sporting Goods store. Zach has two pair of jeans and about five tee shirts that make up his wardrobe. He HATES me shopping for him but they had a huge sale at the consignment shop and I got him an American Eagle zip up sweater for $5.00 and Massey picked out a beautiful baby blue Hollister pull over sweater that will look great with his baby blue eyes...$5.00 as well.

We ordered a jacket for Massey and I  put half down on it. She was BEYOND thrilled.

We came home and as always  stopped at the mailbox before pulling in the driveway. Of course there were the usual "Immediate Attention" letters and a couple of Christmas cards. Massey snatched them out of my hand and squealed "I got a letter from the North Pole!!"

It was addressed to her and the return address was indeed the North Pole. She opened the envelope and once again I was blessed.

It told her he had heard about some kid making fun of her repeating outfits at school and her wanting a Letterman jacket. Enclosed was $50.00 and a note that said to use it for her wardrobe or jacket...her choice. It went on to say things about her parents that brought tears to my eyes and that made Massey realize the power of friendship and love...two tremendous things to have in life.

Now the jacket is paid off in full.

Now my heart is full. I am not sure what I have ever done for people to shower me with so many blessings but I know I have so much to pay forward that it isn't even funny.

I have a great job and a family that stretches far beyond blood relation. I am on the road back and I know what a long road it will be but with all the Angel's and Santa's that have come into our life we are destined for greatness.

Zach balked at his sweaters when we got inside the house, but when he left fifteen minutes later with a friend he was wearing the American Eagle sweater. Teen age boys are a toughie. They don't want attention or love but need it more than anyone else.

Zach and I have had our battles and I am quite sure there are many more to come but when he answers his cell phone and says "Hi Mommy" it makes me smile. When he puts on a sweater I bought for him it makes me warmer than it does him.

My kid's have been through a lot this past year. At first all they knew was that their dad was looking for a new job. As the weeks turned into months they realized the big picture and I am sure it wasn't easy for them. To their credit they have been quite incredible and resilient. Of course they are teens and have given me a lot of new gray hair and wrinkles along the way but I think teens do that anyway, regardless.

Massey has her Christmas present coming...and all paid for. Zach has a warm sweater that he really likes but is too cool to say so and my new job is proving to be the best thing that has happened in over a decade.

All I have to do is get the boy's their present and shopping is done. TJ is easy...he is out on his own and nothing says Merry Christmas like a pre paid gas card and a Kroger gift card. Zach is a little tougher...and Tim has balked at me signing him up for the military as a Christmas gift. He needs some new tennis shoes and some new drawers, he is growing like a stinkin' weed (no Zach pun intended.)

Christmas has been all about Christmas the past two years in our house and I can say with conviction that it makes the Holiday sweeter. We  have our family over and eat, drink and get our Merry on. We laugh and force our brother to spend an entire day with his niece and nephews. We are a small family now but we have a heart that only needs love pumping through it...and pump it we do.

So my Christmas shopping is done and paid for. My brother is the rich one (LOL) so we'll get him to bring a Honey Baked Ham and the Bloody Marys. My sis and I will make some side dishes and we will spend the day together and it will be incredible...(maybe not the word my brother would use) but he'll tough it out with us and be done til Thanksgiving 2011.

How can such a horrible year seem like a blessing? With much love from family, friends and God it has turned out to be the most eye opening and reality checking experience a person could ever have.

I will never be the same. I will never see a person hurting , wanting or needing without trying to help. I picked another card off the tree at work tonight.

 If so many can help me...it leaves me open to help so many.

I hope that every one has a wonderful Christmas...I know we will.

And Santa....you are the best!

Til next time.....Christmas Cotton

No comments: