Sunday, November 7, 2010

Y2K Ten Years Eleven Months and One Week Late...


I had to work another double today. That one hour of extra sleep was nice but not nearly enough. The computers at work started acting up during lunch but the owner managed to work the kinks out. Then all the phone lines went down and we couldn't answer any incoming calls.

After Lunch I had one hour before my dinner shift and swung by the drug store for some cold medicine for Zach and Tim, who are both sick now too. Men are horrible patients. Let me change that...TIM is a horrible patient. Zach is pretty tough and doesn't complain much. Tim rarely ever gets sick but when he does LOOK OUT!

I bought a big bag of Naval oranges and have them all sucking down some vitamin C and pumping them full of meds.

Last night I put a roast in the crock pot at 2AM before I went to bed so they would all have something to eat on  while I worked all day. (It's still sitting in the crock pot which didn't surprise me in the least.) I guess they were all thinking about me and left me something warm to eat when I finally got home.

I had a party of 20 when I got back to work. I worked it with my buddy "Hoke." (previous post)

We had just taken the order when all the computers at work crashed. We all had to hand write tickets for the kitchen to cook the food, manually write up tickets for customers and add them up like a Waffle House check.

Then the credit card machine crashed and stopped processing credit cards.

All the while,  we were trying to operate the store as normally as possible and keep the customers happy and unaware of the chaos we were dealing with behind the scenes.

Luckily my party was great...I knew one of the girls  and they were an easy bunch to please. I was actually taking their order when one woman I have never seen before said "Are you the one who writes the blog?"
 Guess I am getting semi- famous!

By this point in the day I was getting "Semi- Tired."

Waiting on large parties is tough enough...having to depend on your brain instead of letting the computers do all your thinking for you is outrageous in the year 2010!

Finally the computers came back on line and THEN all the servers had to go  and ring in every order they had hand written, every bar drink they had scratched down on a napkin for the poor bartender to make and on top of that send a special instruction with each order "Not to make it."

My tiny brain was smoking...it was frazzled  just trying to catch up.

What a world we live in now. We have become so reliant on computers and technology. We  trust a calculator and a computer system more than we trust our own brain. It makes you lazy, it makes you not  calculate anything or  do what we  used to consider "cognitive thinking."

What a sad statement this is of our society today.  Y2K hit us hard at the restaurant tonight. Modern technololgy has made us morons. We all rely on email, not snail mail. We all rely on a tiny chip in a computer. We all rely on something inantimate to make our decisions and do our work.

Maybe Waffle House has it right. They all know their math, they all know how to add up a bill. They all know what the sales tax is. And on top of it all, they still say " Morning, Hon...Whatcha want?"

No comments: