Monday, November 22, 2010

I Got LOTS to be Thankful For...


 I started thinking when I left the house this morning for work and my car started, "I have a LOT to be thankful for." Last week at this time I was hitching rides and wondering how I was ever going to convince someone to give me a car loan to buy a new car. My nephew  came over and changed my oil and air filter and got my car at least limping back onto the road. With luck (which I seem to have none of) it may be a five dollar part to re connect a vacuum hose and get my car back running smoothly.

Right now I am getting 24 MPG when I used to get 38 MPG. Thank the Lord for my 10 cents off per gallon via my Kroger plus card!

On the way to work this morning I saw a guy on the by pass "Carrying" his bicycle down the road. He had it hefted over his shoulder and was sweatin' like crazy.

I thought "How much does THAT suck?" You are already having to ride a bike and your bike is in such bad shape that you have to carry it over your shoulder! I think I may have chucked it into a ditch and felt twenty pounds lighter...(you can always go BACK for the bike.)

Worked a lunch shift and zoomed home for a short break before working a dinner shift. Massey and I had to go shop the Thrift stores for a frame we needed for a pic that she drew for a good friend. when I picked her up I noticed that she was particularly down. I asked her what was wrong and she blew me off until I relentlessly broke her down.

Her Band, her Guard, her BFF 's are all in Hawaii marching in a parade. It was a $2000.00 trip and one that we just couldn't afford this year. I missed many fund raising opportunities because I simply had to work too much and have barely had time to think, much less participate in the fund raisers. She told me (actually sweetly) that she was tired of us being poor. I told her that no one hated her not being in Hawaii more than me and that if this was the worst thing that EVER happened to her she would be a lucky person.

I did what any other mother would do...took her to "Ross, Mess For Less" and bought her a pair of jeans for ten bucks.

She perked up some and I felt like a  #$@* of a Mom for having to make a pair of jeans make up for the trip of her young life time.

She has rebounded just like the girl I raised her to be.

I told her we have had one TOUGH  LONG year.  But out of the 23 years I have been with Tim...I guess we were due.

 What's ONE bad year?

 Oh yeah, now I remember...it's twelve months of scraping and scratching and twelve months of other people, friends and family helping us  survive.

I told Massey that we are some of the luckiest  people around.

We are hanging on to our house by a Rayon thread. Thankfully God's hand is mighty and strong.

I have SO much to be grateful for.

I have SO many people to pay back.

Life has already taken (almost) a 180 turn. I have a great job, my husband is working again and we are "Putsing" our way back on the road to normalcy.

When I get depressed, when I feel down and out I just think about the millions that would trade their life for mine in an instant.

What if I didn't have a family that loved me ?

What if I didn't have friends that  come to my rescue time after time after time?

What if my kids weren't healthy...what if one of them was missing and I didn't know what happened or where they were?

WHAT IF?

I am a lucky, lucky woman.

So my brother is tired of me. I am sure he feels like blocking my calls but always takes them anyway...he's my hero. (That's what he gets for being a bachelor...he inherits my problems,  reminding him why he never had kids.)

This Thanksgiving is MY Thanksgiving.

I am one lucky person. I have survived a year that I never intend to have to go through again.

I lost my humility and my pride long ago. They are both highly over rated.

What I have gained from this experience is immense.

 What I have gained is a sense of "Karma." I  gained the knowledge that if you persevere, if you help others...they will help you!

Everyone have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

Be sure to stop..check your life, check the life of others  and do what you can to make a difference.

Til next time...COTTON








1 comment:

Walter said...

Great blog! Chris is unique to say the least.
Don't think I know but one or two other people that know So Many people and are loved by almost all of them!
So are you...unique that is. You and Tim are doing a great job. Hang in there.
Thanks for putting it "Out There" and voicing the feelings and opinions so many of us have.
You represent a chunk of the American "cross-section" of society. Thus the world-wide interest. Go Girl!