Monday, October 18, 2010

Gettin' My "Feng Shui" Groove ON!

Day thirteen of my current work week. I actually thought I would feel like crap by now but I am "Gettin' my Feng Shui groove ON."

Yesterday morning was the beginning of my third double shift in a row and day number  12 of my  work week. I got up in a bad mood. I had to be at work by 10:30 AM...Tim was gone to church and had left me a note. "I need $212 for the power bill tomorrow." We owe more  but that was the amount he needed for us to keep our power on.

You know me...I left "HIM" a note saying "I need the house vacuumed, the laundry done and all three bathrooms cleaned after you clean the kitchen and mop the floor."

Worked from 10:30 til almost 4:00. Had a thirty minute break and came home to give the dogs some water (I knew their bowl would be dry...which of course it was) and checked my email.

I had an email from a dear friend of mine from high school. It read:

"I don't believe the whole Feng Shui part, but the mere fact of it is cool! 832 years-really??'

Included was this forward:

October 2010:

This October has 5 Fridays, 5 Saturdays and 5 Sundays all in one month. It happens once in 832 years. These are considered money bags months. Pass this on to eight good people and money will appear. Based on Chinese Feng Shui. Whoever stops this will experience none...

That's all it took for me!

I had less than five minutes before I had to be back  so I printed off eight copies and drove 60 MPH back to work.

All the people I work with are good people and the first eight I saw as I walked in the back door got handed a copy.

I am already so broke, who am I to turn down a chance at a "Money bags" month?

It wasn't real busy last night but since passing the email  on I haven't gotten ONE tip under 20%.

I can almost feel my eyes getting narrower and am contemplating binding my feet.

Had to work this morning. Tim took Zach to school and since I was already ticked at Tim I told Zach to tell his Dad to take the money he needed for the power bill and deposit the rest in my BLOOD red checking account.

When I went into work I was talking with the bartender setting up the bar and said "I am the proud owner of negative $33 in my checking account."

She said "Oh Kelly...I am SO sorry."

I told her that  Friday I was negative $200. I held up my hand and said "Shoot! I wanna high five for a negative $33!"

I roll with the punches...

Lunch was awesome. Usually Monday lunches CAN be as slow as watching paint dry. Not today! I not only made terrific money but made quite a few new regulars. When they have never eaten at our restaurant, you need to guide them through the massive menu. You need to ask what they like, what they may be in the mood for and SELL your product! I was a selling machine and was pumped that I had not only put my account back in the black but could  buy a few groceries!

Screamed home for five minutes and got back to work in time to get a party of 12 from a German company. Europeans always make me nervous. Overseas servers make a wage. Here servers make $2.13 a hour.

I sold my little heart out. I got the bill up to almost $400. I told Barbara (the owner's wife) that I was worried. She told me to take the bill to the guy paying and write in "suggested gratuity 18%" and do the math for them.

I told her I was nervous about doing that and she snatched the pen out of my hand and wrote her suggested tip FOR me on the bill.

At least if the guy complained I could now say "The owner's wrote that, not me."

Let me interject here that I gave then tremendous service (yeah I'm tootin' my own horn) but when they  left there wasn't ONE dish left on the table. All silverware was gone, all plates were gone and all that remained  was the water glass in front of each guest and the cup from the espresso one guy had.

I was nervous but my "Feng Shui" kicked in again. I made a $70.41 tip!

I was so pumped that I talked another server into giving me his shift tomorrow night.

I approached the owner about picking up the server's  shift and he said "Isn't that your day off?"

I told him "Len, if you give me a day off  I might not want to come back."

He said "Pick up the shift."

I have fallen into a wonderful place. I have learned me some "Kung Fu"...no that's "Feng Shui."

I am striking while the iron's hot. I don't know if it is Karma. I don't know if if is Feng Shui. I KNOW that is is Thanks to God but if his buddies are kicking in too, I can use all the help I can get!

At least I have tomorrow day off. I can get some things done around the house, sleep in a bit and go back into work to kick some Feng Shui butt!!


I am thinking about petitioning Washington tomorrow to extend the month of October.

Will keep you posted on my wonderful turn of events.

It's called Karma... or  Maybe that's  God's middle name!

Til next time..."Love you long time" COTTON

No comments: