Sunday, October 10, 2010

At Least It Was Entertaining...

Worked Brunch today and had a good shift. We have an awesome brunch...Frittatas and Omelets, Eggs Benedict ,  French Toast and fresh Blueberry Pancakes to name a few .
I had a thirty minute break and came back on for the dinner shift.

Unfortunately it was really slow but that's just the way it is as a server. Some shifts are Phat and some shifts are Flat, you just hope that it all averages out to your benefit at the end of the week.

Everyone that worked Brunch was a double except "Olive Oyl" so it was the same team all day and night. I worked with Thelma, Pink Panther, Dr. Evil, Quick Draw and Baba Booey, Andy Capp and a couple of team members that I haven't named yet. Tonight I added one more to the list...we christened the "new guy."

He looks like one of the Back Street Boys...after googling them I discovered it was Kevin Richardson (see above photo.) He is a really nice guy, very laid back, making him the perfect target in my"sarcastic sight."

It's really hard when you start at our restaurant. The menu is huge and varied and the wine list goes on for days. Learning a new computer system is never easy and finding out how to modify and send items correctly to the kitchen is a daily process of trial and error.

I came out of the kitchen tonight and our new guy was standing at the computer screen staring intently and talking quietly to it. I asked him who he was talking to and he chuckled softly. I said " What are you doing, trying to Skype?" We had a good laugh (it's best to just laugh when you are trapped in my "sight.") When we walked back into the kitchen I picked up a pepper mill and held it briefly to my ear before handing it to him and saying "It's for you." I told him his new nickname could be 'Skype.'

Then not ten minutes later he asked me who had table 306?  We don't even HAVE a table 306...so I quipped "I'm not sure who's table that is but table one o twelve is mine." (we don't have a one o twelve either) The bartender (Thelma) told him to go get a bucket from the back and sit down and take a break .

Thelma and I don't let up when we get on a roll. It was slow and we needed some entertainment and ole "Skype" fit the bill perfectly.

We also had a new young hostess working. She is a senior in high school and is a tiny little slip of a thing...she makes ME look overweight. When the phone rings at the hostess stand it makes her jump...she seems to be a little skittish over answering the phone. I was up front tonight talking with her and the owner (Dr. Evil.) She said she couldn't wait to try some of the food on our menu. I told her she should order some food . She said she didn't have any money so I  said "Len (the owner) will buy you some food...try the Lamb." Our New Zealand Rack of Lamb is $36.99.

Len told me to shut up and go away.

So I really didn't make any money but I laughed all night....that's a good shift if you ask me!

We are conflicted on the new guy's nickname but I think "Skype" might stick. I'll have to hand it to him, he takes it all in stride and laughs along with us.

 We are a dysfunctional but loving bunch. When it's  busy as a beehive we all work together and help each other out. When it's slow we laugh together. It is wonderful place I have landed...it's not only a job but a family and they have welcomed me as one of the team and I couldn't have found a better team to be a part of.

Tomorrow starts another week and it's nice to not dread going into work. School is out on Monday and Tuesday so my kids get a break and hopefully it will bring out the "Eaters."
Til next time...COTTON the Entertainer

No comments: