Sunday, September 5, 2010

What a Weekend...

I don't want to say this past weekend aged me...but what do you think? At least I still have a smile on my face and my lipstick still looks fresh.

It all began Friday morning after my precious eighteen year old caused me to have three hours of sleep before getting up to work a morning shift.

I came home from work to go work a funnel cake stand at the football game and got home a little before midnight. Saturday was okay, slept late and didn't have to be at work til 5:00.

Sunday rolled around and I was scheduled for another double shift. Lunch was good, two women (twin sisters) that read my silly little blog came in to eat with me and gave me a great way to end a shift. They even got to meet "Dr. Evil" AKA the owner of the restaurant.

I had an hour before I was due back and Dr. Evil told me I could come back a little later than I was scheduled.

Zoomed home and picked up Massey and headed to Wal Mart to pick up a couple of things I needed...BIG MISTAKE.

I bought five items. We checked out through the garden department, usually an easy escape. The guy checking us out immediately said "I remember you from when you worked for Johnny's Pizza on Virginia Ave."

Not to date myself but that was 1982.

He was just chatting us up and going back and forth between my five items like I had rolled up with a cart full of things. I was kinda wondering about it but for once in my life just kept quiet and rolled my eyes at Massey when he wasn't looking.
He said "That'll be $82.50."

I thought that sounded high but he had stopped twice while ringing up items to check his tape to see what he had rung up.

We didn't even get past the guy who takes out his yellow highlighter and marks your receipt before Massey said "He rang up the bed sheet twice."

My nerves were already rattled...trips to Wal Mart tend to do that to me.

I told the man with the highlighter that the cashier had charged me twice for the fitted sheet I had bought.

He looked at my receipt and said "Well there ain't nothin' we can do out here now, he done moved on to another customer."

I was instructed by the highlighter holder to go inside to customer service for my $15.00 refund.

GREAT!

How hard is it to scan an item , put it in the bag and move on to the next item? Thank the Lord they didn't give this cashier free reign with the yellow highlighter pen. I guess you have to take a special class to hold the yellow highlighter.

I had already eaten up most of my break by this point but wasn't leaving without my $15.00.

Into the store we went and headed for customer service.

We waited in line for ten minutes while the woman behind the counter waited on one lady with one item to return. The woman in front of us finally gave up and left without getting a return.

Massey wanted to leave but I refused. It only took me twenty minutes to get my $15.00 back and I reminded myself why I never go to Wal Mart in the daytime. The only good time to go to Wal Mart is after work, preferably after midnight when the idiots have dwindled to a minimum.

Got back to work with two minutes to spare.

The owner commented to me when I got back how great it was that my blog had brought him two new customers and I said "Aren't you glad I got fired from Longhorn?" He came back with "What took you so long?"

Had an excellent dinner shift but I was so tired by the time I got off that it reminded me that I was indeed fifty and feeling every year of it.

It was a long weekend. Got a lot done, left a lot undone but am finally home. Took an extra strength Advil for my aching legs and sat on my duff to blog..."Priorities."

Tomorrow starts another week. The days tend to tumble together, the nights seem shorter but I keep on keeping on.

The football team doesn't have a game this next weekend so things are already looking up for me.

The kids are out of school tomorrow and I don't have to be at work til 5:30. No guard practice, no school pick ups...YIPPEE !

Massey and I are going to the cemetery to do some work around the family plot. Can't let my parents think they are forgotten and it always makes me feel good to make sure it looks nice.

My Labor Day will be a labor of love. Putting fresh flowers out...raking , weed eating and letting my parents know they aren't forgotten.

Another exhausting week...but aren't they all when you have teens?

They say kids keep you young...I tend more to believe "Survive or Succumb."

Til next time...Non Succumbing Cotton"

1 comment:

Walter said...

Wish I lived closer and I would eat at Mama Lucia's more often. Tell your boss we Love his restaurant and recommend it to all of our friends.