Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Still Spinning...I Think I May Need Need New Tires...

Dang...my little legs are tired of seemingly running no where. I'm not sure why the sign says "final" and not "finish." Hopefully it means I am headed for my last big hurdle!

The last couple of days have been crazy.

Insurance had denied Massey anymore therapy for her knee so when I took her for her sports physical I went to her pediatrician instead of a sports clinic. Her doctor said she definitely needed more therapy for her knee and our only avenue was for her to refer Massey to an Orthopaedic surgeon. It took me forever to get an appointment and the closest one was an hour away in north Atlanta. I left my house at 3:00 for a 5:00 appointment since they wanted us there early to fill out paperwork.

We saw the surgeon at 6:00 and after taking at LEAST six x rays, he determined that what Massey needed was at least six more weeks of therapy for her knee. He wrote out a prescription for six weeks of therapy and told us to come back after that for a follow up.

We left there and went to Children's Health Care Sports Therapy where we were able to immediately sign her up for six more weeks of therapy...twice a week.

Had my insurance approved more therapy they wouldn't have had to pay the Orthopaedic surgeon for his consult or pay for the six x rays, which I am sure were at LEAST $400. THAT...my friends is one of the major problems with this messed up health care system!

But at least she is back in therapy. Had she not been approved for more therapy it would have snowballed into an injury that would cost them tons more money and possibly surgery for Massey.

With my small battle won we scheduled her first therapy for next week and headed back through downtown in sluggish but moving traffic.

We made it back to Newnan by 8:00 and I can't believe I didn't run out of gas. Gas was too expensive in downtown and I assured Massey we could make it back to the Kroger in Newnan to use my ten cents off a gallon. It's hard to drive with both fingers crossed but I did it and thank The Lord we made it.

Her guard practice had been from 5:30 to 8:30 so we drove straight to the high school for her to join in the last twenty minutes of practice. They ALWAYS run at least fifteen minutes over and her guard coach was already put out with me for Massey missing practice for a doctor's appointment. (HELLO???  We weren't out shopping for clothes but shopping for a solution to a knee injury that GUARD had caused.)

She ran and got her flags out of the band room and ran out to join the group. I sat with some parents as her coach belted out orders from the tower in the parking lot. Us parents never listen to him because it is too excruciating to hear the tone he takes with our kids.

Let me say that I have always been a champion of her coach...and he doesn't tend to have many. He can be brutal and often is but I keep telling Massey they don't pay him to coddle but to make them the winners they are.

While I was blocking out his screeching tirade  he had called Massey out over the microphone for not knowing her new drill (one he had taught the guard while we were at the doctor's office.) It humiliated Massey and when practice was over she was in tears and sobbing.

Let me insert here that I am very apprehensive about complaining about anything guard related since they have been so great about our circumstances and have allowed Massey to remain on the team. I realize I am not there all the time...I would LOVE to be. There are some parents that never show up one time the entire year. There are parents who NEVER help. There are parents that only show up at games to sit in the stands and watch their kid perform while I am frying stinkin' funnel cakes out in a field where I can't even HEAR the game much less SEE it.

Yes...a LOT of other mothers help me out with carting Massey to and from practice...and they do it with a full heart and seem to love my girl as their own. But it isn't because I am at home watching "Jersey Shore" or "Oprah." It is because I am trying to keep a roof above our heads. It is because after being in debt for a year takes YEARS to recover from. For twenty years Tim and I were ahead on everything. One bad turn of events (one that was out of our control) has set us back five years.

Unfortunately our kids are all old enough to know what our situation is. Sometimes it is a blessing but more often than not it is an embarrassment to me ... I hate that my kids have to suffer from it and that I have to accept help from so many. Don't get me wrong...I am so grateful for the help that I have received that I will never be able to pay it all back in my own life time but will have to impress on my kids how important it is to help others and hope I leave a legacy of children that know where they came from...where they sank to and how blessed they were to be raised up again by love compassion and caring.

I wanted to go up and bitch slap Massey's coach for hurting her and humiliating her.  Instead I told Massey not to worry. I told her no one but the guard heard his rant...us parents had tuned him out long ago. I told her it was nothing the guard didn't hear on a daily basis and to let it roll off her back like water on a duck's back. The tears she was pouring out were ill spent. The emotion she was feeling was unwaranted. She is a good guard girl. She may not be the best but she most certainly isn't the worst.

She actually seems to have a gift for it...if not a gift "A Heart" for it.

I hate that I have to have my kids on WellCare. I hate that I have to use food stamps. I hate that I have had to accept so much charity from others...but without it,  I HATE to think of where my family would be.

I had to work tonight...usually my off day but I had to take yesterday off for her Ortho appointment. They had an exhibition at the high school and I thought I could be off by maybe 8:45 to see ECHS perform. Didn't work out. I had to close and my last table sat down at 9:10. Twenty minutes before we closed. They didn't leave until 11:00. Even the Mexicans in the kitchen beat me out.

As usual, lucky for me another guard mom took Massey home...Zach came home on time and they both had three big dogs guarding them til I got home at 11:45.

I keep telling myself it will get better...and it actually has.

I am just here to tell you that never before in my fifty years have I ever experienced twelve months like I have just been through. Thank The Lord it is my first time and hopefully my last.

I wish my kids were still little and oblivious...instead they are teens and obstinate and unfortunately aware. I guess that COULD work in their favor and teach them early  what  family is all about and what love and compassion are about.

I'll be honest...I am tired.

As long as I can write and as long as I can LOOK at the words I write and think "That's EXACTLY how I feel" it will one day be a memory I am glad I recorded and a feeling that will never be forgotten.

One day when I am finally published and recognized for my wonderful writing abilities...I will take all my readers and followers to Australia and then buy them all their own plane to take them back to the mansion I had built for them while on their vacation. "Take THAT Oprah..."

Til next time....COTTON

No comments: