Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Just When You Start To Resent Teens, They "Represent"

Massey had two of the guard girls spend the night Saturday. By the time I got home from work the living room was a wreck and three girls were having a blast. I brought them home a pizza from work (we got some GOOD pizza) and it was gone in thirty seconds. They were on the Wii...with a dance party game. I hadn't heard MC Hammer since the eighties but they were all about some "Don't touch this" and I was instructed to sit and watch. They had already taped themselves on my cam corder (video below) and as I watched it I realized Massey knew how to center herself in a frame quite well, giving semi generous glimpses of her friend with a cast on her arm trying her best to keep up.

They went to bed at a decent hour and all got up to go to church with Tim while I got ready for work.

I am blessed to have a girl who is sweet...sloppy but friendly. Messy but will throw on a cute outfit in a heartbeat to go to church with her Dad. As filled with drama as she is with love and has the biggest heart I have ever been witness to in a young woman.

Fast forward to Tuesday..my day off. I worked in the yard til I picked her up from school. She went with me to kite my check at EMC and we scooted by the grocery store to pick up some milk and bologna to make sandwiches before guard practice.

It was in the upper eighties when practice started. I dropped her off and went home to make myself somewhat presentable and went back to the school to chaperone practice. I was sweating just sitting in a chair. When you attend a guard practice, four words stick in your brain "FIVE SIX SEVEN EIGHT."

Every step and every movement is set to counting off the drill. They don't rely on the music, they rely on their ability to know their drill and count it off.

Over and over again they went through their work and it made me realize once again why they are so good.

The last video is of them in the waning hours of sunlight...still pounding the pavement still counting "FIVE SIX SEVEN EIGHT" and taking more heat from Teddy (their coach) than probably any of them take from their own mother.

HEY! If you wanna be champions don't expect to be babied or coddled. Expect to be pushed and then pushed some more.

It is a lesson I have learned recently..."To Succeed, you gotta Proceed."

It felt good to take a few hours off and spend them with the guard.

Enjoy the videos...and guess what??

Tomorrow is my 20th wedding anniversary. Although Tim says it feels like 50, it has only been 20. We have been together 22 years, married for 20 and struggled for one. I think that's a pretty good record...

You just wait....Blog to follow!

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: