Monday, September 6, 2010

A History Lesson

This first pic is of Massey next to her name sake ... her grandma. I know my Mother was smiling too when this picture was taken.



" Turn your eyes upon Jesus

Look full in his wonderful face

And the things of earth will grow strangely dim

In the light of his glory and grace."






I took this picture sitting under the huge oak tree that stands tall and strong over my parent's cemetery plot. I told Massey it reminded me of the lyrics I posted above...one of my Mother's favorite hymns.




Massey and I spent the day cleaning up and roaming the cemetery where my parent's are buried.















As we wandered through the cemetery we were amazed at the dates on the headstones.









This photo shows you about just how far back I am talking.





Some of the graves were merely stones and rocks arranged around a loved one.











These are two from the 1700's. GEEZ, I thought that "I" was getting old!






When we got home I googled John Westmoreland and found
out he was one of the first citizens of Fayette county. His family belonged to County Line Christian Church (where my parents are buried) and is from a long line of doctors. I believe he or his brother started the first Atlanta Medical Center that evolved into Emory .










Some of the markers are just large pieces of wood that have somehow weathered the years and remain standing.













The huge oak tree in the middle marks where my parents and grand parents are buried.












It makes you wonder when you see graves marked in this way
if any of this family is still around and do they know their loved one is here or ever come to visit?







County Line Christian Church is the oldest Christian church in Georgia. It is located off of Highway 16 right after you pass the sign for the tiny unincorporated town of Digby, if you are coming from Newnan.
It was an amazing time walking around and realizing that some of these people had been born in the 1700's. Reading Headstones, seeing small unmarked graves and huge monuments built of nothing but stacked stone that had been there since the early 1800's.





It was a great day. The day lilies that Massey and I had planted last summer were still growing in front of the "Leach" marker and after raking and weed eating it looked nice neat and trim.
Massey even gave me a high five and said "Job well done, Mom."
My parents were the best. I am a lucky, lucky woman. Massey even told me today that she thought I was really a pretty cool Mom. If that doesn't make you burst with pride nothing will.


She DID tell me I was lame to make her film my singing debut on my blog but I made her do it anyway. She said she didn't zoom in close because my hair was a hot mess and it wasn't my best look. (That's my girl...always looking out for me.)





If you are a new reader of my blog or just starting to catch on...you can click on the pictures and they will be in their original size. I think they are amazing...see what you think!






Don't worry, I don't plan to sing again on my blog but just felt compelled to do so ... and as long as Massey wasn't zooming in for a close up thought I would sing one of my Mother's favorite hymns for her. That's okay, my Mother was no Julie Andrews either but loved to sing in the kitchen while she cooked and I can still remember her voice like it was yesterday that I heard her sing.

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: