Tuesday, September 7, 2010

"Get Rich Quick...Count Your Blessings"

I just didn't feel good today. I just couldn't get myself motivated to do anything. That isn't usual for me and it actually felt strange.

Our mortgage company is still dragging it's feet with us, two bills were due today and we only had money to pay one. I flipped a coin and sent Tim off with a check that won't be good til Thursday. I told him to drive slow.

I am WAY beyond worrying...I don't need ANY more wrinkles or gray hair. I am pretty sure the check won't clear til Thursday and have honed my kiting skills to a professional level over the past year.

I just kinda had the blues....but it seemed more of a 'blackish' feeling.

The first productive thing I did all day was go pick up Massey from school. It always makes me feel good to be with her and by the time we got back home I immediately felt better.

I had to turn around in a hour and take her back to the school for practice. When I dropped her off...I suddenly lost my warm and fuzzy feeling.

I love my boys...but when boys reach a certain age they love you more if you leave them alone unless THEY need something. They let you know they love you...sometimes in bizarre ways but at least they let you know.

With my 'warm fuzzy' at practice I went back home and laid down on the couch in the den and watched the news. Before I knew it, it was 7:30. I had to pick Massey up from practice at 8:30 and still had dinner to cook.

Zach hadn't even come home after school so I called his cell to see if he would be home in time to go get Massey for me so I could finish dinner. He said he was at his friend, Kevin's house and had just woke from a nap and didn't think he would be home in time...(WHATEVER!)

When he hadn't called me back by 8:15 I turned the peas down on the stove, left the meatloaf in the oven and turned down the pot of boiling water waiting for the fresh corn on the cob to be put in and went to the school.

At 8:40 while sitting in the parking lot waiting for Massey to get out of her 8:30 practice...I got a text from Zach saying that he and Kevin were picking Massey up and I could thank Kevin when they dropped her off at the house. Another "WHATEVER" moment.

I text back that I was sitting at the school as he and Kevin drove up and parked next to me. Zach got out of Kevin's car all puffed up with attitude "She's not even out here yet." I told him I realized that as I had been sitting in my car for fifteen minutes waiting for her but she was supposed to get out at 8:30 and I needed to be there in case she DID.

He drove off in a huff and even though he had attempted to help me it would have been nice to TELL ME HE WAS .

Then comes a call from Massey...She had forgotten it was her week to straighten up the guard room and couldn't leave until everyone else did.

My meatloaf should have come out of the oven ten minutes ago and my peas were probably out of water and setting the kitchen on fire as I called her back.

I told her I HAD to go back home and turn the stove off and would come BACK and pick her up.

Halfway home she called and said Megan's dad would give her a ride.

Got home and Tim woke up for work and said "When's dinner?' I wanted to beat him to death with an ear of corn out of the boiling pot of water, but just said "It's ready."

THEN I get a text from Massey saying she was going to spirit night at Brewster's with Megan and since they were giving her a ride she felt she couldn't say no.

Here comes my third "WHATEVER."

Zach was still with Kevin, Massey was at Brewster's and Tim was fixing a plate.

I decided that I would do something for someone ELSE.

A co worker of mine (the bull dog in a china shop) ...(previous post) had finally managed to move out of the gross Motel Six and had rented an apartment with another woman that was within walking distance of the restaurant.

I had told her I two twin mattresses she could stack on top of each other so she would at least have a bed to sleep on. I called her cell and said I thought I could squeeze one of them in my Passat if I laid the back seats down. She was so excited I almost asked her if she wanted to move in with us.

Instead I crammed the mattress in my car and drove to her new apartment. I got there and there was a security gate... I didn't know what to do, didn't even know her last name but as the gate swung open for someone to leave I just swerved to the left and went in the OUT gate."


She was sitting outside waiting on me and I dragged the mattress out of the trunk. Of COURSE she lived on the second floor but I picked up the front as she struggled with the back end. She said "You're a strong little #@$&." We made it up the flight of steps and her new room mate opened the door. An African American woman who seemed a bit older than me. They had met in the rental office when trying to rent an apartment. Neither of them could afford one on their own so they decided to rent together.

As I was introduced to her I asked her how she was and her reply was "Blessed."

That struck me in the chest even harder than the mattress did as I was hauling it up the stairs practically on my own (my bull dog friend isn't as strong as this little #@$&.)

The apartment was clean and freshly painted. As I hauled the mattress the last few feet to the bed room I noticed they did not have ONE stick of furniture. I had told her as we were hauling up the mattress that I would bring the other one over tomorrow.

I got in my car to leave...made it to the gate and called her back. I told her "Why don't I go home and load up the other mattress and bring it back tonight?"

I thought she was excited the FIRST time...

I went back home and put half of the meatloaf in Tupperware and the peas as well. I dug out some forks and knives and some paper plates. I got a roll of paper towels and threw them in the car. Massey was home by then and loaded the second mattress. I loaded up a folding table I had in the garage...like a camping table, but could stand in for a dining room table once I went and got a nice linen table cloth out of my closet. I wondered if they had a microwave so I threw in a little pot and a cooking spoon. Massey threw in two bath towels and two wash cloths.

My 'warm fuzzy' was coming back.

I drove back (scooted through the OUT gate again) and forgot which apartment she lived in. I went to the wrong door twice dragging my camping table with me and finally called her cell. I was one building off but when I got there you would have thought they were six years old and I was a big fat white guy with a red suit with fur cuffs.

I had even managed to squeeze in four milk crates that Massey had used stacked four square on their sides as shelves or cubby holes.

Two women, down on their luck...trying to survive. Not ONE piece of furniture to their name but a roof over their head , a bath to bathe in and rooms to sleep in.

As I left I heard my co worker telling her new room mate as she shut the door "She even cooked us dinner."

I left feeling ashamed of myself for feeling bad about my own family's troubles. I drove home feeling better about finally remembering how important it is to CONSTANTLY pay it forward.

My day had sucked until I helped someone else. Then it suddenly turned my world around and made me realize how very lucky I really am.

I have kids that drive me crazy. I have to pick and choose which bills to pay. But I have a house and a husband to help me keep it. I have family and friends that have seen me through.

The small insignificant gesture that I made was the thing that not only made these two women's day...but made mine.

Sometimes it takes other people's troubles to remind you how truly blessed you are.

I am the one that needs to send THEM a thank you note.

Life is full of lessons...you just need to be willing to learn them. I did that today and feel blessed for the lesson and for the reminder that there is ALWAYS someone less fortunate than you.

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: