Monday, August 16, 2010

What a Wonderful Tribute...



What a wonderful, uplifting emotional and often hilarious tribute to my cousin. I talked in my blog about him picking me up in his Porsche on my way to school and when I got to the visitation...low and behold, there was the steering wheel from a Porsche displayed by the hundreds of photos and pieces of artwork by Shad.


The place was packed. What's ironic is MANY of his friends couldn't even make it to the memorial service today.





I was milling around talking to people when the minister officiating the service came up to me and asked if I was speaking at the service. I replied "Yes" and as he stood talking to me but staring at my spiked hairdo... he said "I have a comb in my pocket." I said "I'm good." He was totally kidding, I have known him all my life and he has a sense of humor similar to my own (only cleaner.)


Massey agreed to sit upstairs and tape the service for me. I knew it would be a "keeper" of a service but was blown away by the entire thing. Shad's close friend, Jerry spoke as well and had the room rolling in laughter, fighting back tears and often had the tears flowing freely...even down his own cheeks. It was touching...on the mark and a tribute fit for a King.


Funerals are usually such solemn and excruciating experiences. Memorial services like Shad's are MUCH more my 'cup of tea.'



I have all the instructions for my own service in my will saved on my computer. The only problem is hoping someone can help Tim learn how to open a file. He struggles with email issues, finding and opening a file will definitely require a 'Geek' squad .


Life is over the halfway mark for me...if I live to be a hundred, it won't be called a memorial but a miracle.


You have to live every day as if it's your last. You have to make the best of every thing life throws your way and learn what is important and what is trivial. What really matters and what really counts. What makes you happy and what makes you a good person. If you live your life that way, I am a firm believer that everything else will fall into place and into the proper perspective .


Another person gone from my life. Another person showing me the way.


"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."




You will be missed, Shad.

Tell my parents hello and hope to see you later ( than sooner)

But you never really know, do you?

1 comment:

Lynn said...

That was a good summary of the memorial, Kelly, and I enjoyed your words of wisdom. I'm going to be a regular reader of your blog. Don't want to miss anything.
Lynn