Tuesday, August 17, 2010

How Much Fun Can a Memorial Be?

I have had so many emails and comments about Shad's service. It was hands down one of the best memorials I have ever attended. Lots of family, friends... laughter and tears. My father's memorial was much the same and I wish I had been in the frame of mind to think to tape it and kick myself about not doing it.

It is such a small world we live in...getting smaller every day. I was in the restroom before the service with Massey and was complaining about how cold it was in the funeral home. Another woman was in the restroom and commented that she thought it was a bit nippy too. I told her that I was fifty, so in five minutes I would probably be screaming "Who turned the heat on?" Then in five more minutes I would be looking around for someone to borrow a sweater from. I told her "There is no happy medium when you are a fifty year old woman." She agreed totally and we all laughed as we left the restroom together (with Massey rolling her eyes at us both.) Massey and I went one way and she another.

When we got back into the standing room only visitation area a man came up to me and said that he had seen me a million times and asked where did he know me from? I told him (begrudgingly) that I had worked for Longhorn in PTC for 13 years and he said "Maybe that's it." I quickly added "Now I work at Mama Lucia's in Newnan." His face lit up and he exclaimed "That's it!"

He said they were there all the time and that's where he knew me from. Turns out his daughter is Leon's girlfriend (the owner's son.) I knew their daughter, she had done a short stint at Longhorn and I had trained her. What a small world, I thought...when it occurred to me what in the world were they doing at Shad's service? They said they worked in the small community theatre Shad's girlfriend ran. Shad was the set designer. I said that I guess they were there because they knew Norma, Shad's girlfriend. Then they looked at me with the same question on THEIR minds..."Why is SHE here?" I told them that I was Shad's cousin. About the same time, the woman from the restroom (hot flashes talk) came up to the couple I was talking to and said to them "I was just fixing to tell you about a really funny person I ran into but I guess you already met her." I told them all..."If you think I'm funny now, wait til you hear me speak at the service."

It's so strange how coincidences bring you together...intertwine worlds and lives and connections.

I had to go straight to work after the service and told Barb and Len about meeting their son's girlfriend's parents at my cousin's memorial service...now that is a mouthful (even for me.)

I had several people come up to me after the service wanting my blog website. I told Len at work that and he immediately said "Tell them to come in and mention your blog to me or Barb and they can have a free appetizer or dessert."

That my friends is called "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours."

This family...the "Mama Lucia" family gave me a great blessing when they brought me into their restaurant and renewed my faith in myself as a server.

Now if you 'peeps' come in and mention my blog to one of them (Len or Barb) you get a free appetizer or free dessert!

What a day of ironic coincidences...what a day of tributes. What a day of learning that the world is a heck of a lot smaller than you'd imagine and that if you persevere and give life your best...it will all come back around to your advantage.

Once again I have to say "Karma is a wonderful friend to have."

No comments: