Thursday, August 12, 2010

Friday the 13th ? Can't Scare Me...

I have been living Friday the 13th for a year now...one "real" Friday the 13th can't scare me.

Somehow, someway I have landed somewhat on my feet. We have a long way to go and are so behind it isn't funny but we have survived. Thanks be to God, family and friends we are still in our house and we are both working again.

I lucked out in the job department. I am employed by two people that have taken me under their wing and treated me like family from the first day they hired me.
They let me "BE me" and seem to appreciate me just being an employee of theirs.
I never dread going to work, never worry about being fired and enjoy every shift. When I worked for a corporate restaurant the food was "Okay" but nothing like the product I am selling now. It's nice to be proud of the food you are selling and know how much hard work and dedication goes into each and every recipe.
All the chefs are encouraged to come up with their own recipes for nightly specials and I have tasted some of the most amazing dishes since working there. I never knew Shrimp with stone ground grits could be so delicious!
I waited on three couples at a table tonight. They were maybe ten or fifteen years older than me but were really nice and a lot of fun. One of the men joked that they didn't "Get out of the Home much" and I assured them they would all be back in time for Bingo. I offered one of the women a frozen drink and she said "I don't know, I'm driving." I retorted "I thought they sent a van to pick you up." OH...they ALL cracked up at THAT one. It is so nice to be able to once again use my sense of humor and feel relaxed. I had totally lost my confidence AND my sense of humor at my old job...I was just barely hanging on when they cut the last tiny thread holding me there. Geez, if it was one tiny thread, why'd they have to use an Atom bomb and machete to cut me loose? Talk about "Overkill."
Anyhoo...I really enjoyed waiting on these folks tonight...most all of my customers are such nice people and a huge cut above what I was used to at my last "Cookie Cutter Corporate" job.
They left me a $35.00 tip on a $140.00 tab and were an absolute pleasure to wait on. After paying they all sat talking for a few minutes at the table. I was in the back doing some cleaning and helping out. I came back into the dining area they were sitting in and casually said "The van is here to pick you up, Bingo starts in fifteen minutes." They all cracked up and it feels good to be myself again and not be worried.
The other night I had another party of six. It was the Dad's birthday and he was totally taking advantage of it being "HIS" night. He was drinking red wine . Everyone else ordered dinner but he just ordered a bowl of the Lobster Bisque for an entree. They had started out with two orders of "Baked Brie" which is AMAZING and Pops was on his third glass of wine when I cleared the salad plates. Once I had the table cleared he asked/ announced "Who wants coffee or an after dinner drink?"
His wife calmly but matter of factly said "We haven't had dinner yet." His reply was "We haven't?"
I quickly came to his defense and said "That happpens to me all the time...that hamster falls asleep in his little wheel."
After the ACTUAL dinner I brought him out a Creme Brulee with a birthday candle in it and told him I was sorry but " The Stripper is off on Wednesdays..Prayer meeting. You know how those Southern Baptist's are."
After the Creme Brulee and VSOP was cleared away and the table was bare again, I cheerfully said "So who's ready to order dinner?"
The son cracked up...
They treated me great. The son left me a 25% tip on a $300 tab. They had been gone from the table about three minutes when the birthday boy /man came back into the dining room and told me what a great time he had. I hugged his neck and told him "Happy Birthday" and he shook my hand leaving fifteen more dollars in my palm.


The relief I feel working there takes the edge off of the stress I am still under. But "This too shall pass."
As a "PS" I thought I would include a picture of one of my "Cartoon" fellow employees. This is our "John Belushi." He is an excellent chef...one of the best. He is dry witted and always quick with a come back. When I took this picture I told him not to smile. He said matter of factly, "I wasn't going to."
Thank you to Barb and Len for giving me chance to regain my confidence and be the server I know I can be. Thank you to family and friends for supporting me and rooting me on every step of the faltering way.
Thank you God, for staying by my side. You brought it to me, but you you saw me through it.
Til next time...COTTON




No comments: