Sunday, May 9, 2010

Zach Has Joined The Work Force

Last night at work the owner's son who is a chef and a dear friend of mine asked if Zach might want to come in on Mother's Day night to help clean up.

"YES"!!!! I said a little too anxiously.

The restaurant that I work at is Zach's favorite place to eat and he has always liked Leon (the owner's son.)

Last night Leon called me after I got home and said "Make sure he doesn't look like a clown when he gets here...no sagging pants and make sure he has a belt on."

Okay...he described Zach's usual attire to a tee and I started fretting about it.

This morning Massey brought me grits and sausage biscuits to scarf down while I got ready for work.

Zach's hair is outrageous...too long and hangs in his eyes but a couple of years ago his doctor told me to choose my battles with him wisely and Hair was WAY down the list.
I worried all day at work about how he would come in looking but after the third secret phone call from a bathroom stall in the restaurant my husband said "He'll look fine, trust me."

He showed up ten minutes early hair back in a pony tail, his pants from his good suit on and a nice black knit shirt.

Five minutes later he was taking all the garbage out and breaking down boxes. By the time I left he was hosing off floor mats out back and covered with grime and food "Crap."

So what...I can have the pants dry cleaned...he'll jump in the shower as soon as he gets home and after spending five hours with the crew at my store will probably be chomping at the bit to work again.

I came home, did some laundry and cleaning and by 11:00 started to wonder If he had left work with a friend picking him up and goofing off somewhere.

I sent Leon a text "Is Zach still w/ you"?

Leon (the smart ass) text back "Yes Mom."

He at least followed it up with a text saying he would bring Zach home and be responsible for dropping him off at our door.

Zach is a good worker...a lazy son but a good worker.

He has his foot in the door now. Start at the bottom with the $@^$ job and work your way up.

Leon is someone that can end up being a mentor to Zach...although that kinda scares me too! But Leon loves me and will take care of Zach...push him to succeed and encourage him.

Bless Zach's heart...when I left tonight he was so covered in grime, garbage and liquids that you don't even want to identify but he was okay with it.

Plus Leon was driving him home. Leon goes from zero to sixty in four seconds and has never seen a curve he couldn't take on two wheels.

This could be a great opportunity for Zach...no this IS a great opportunity for Zach.

The Mexicans were buzzing about the new guy...some of the servers were saying "Who's that strange man in our kitchen"? And I was left thinking "Praise God...Zach has joined the work force!

What a great Mother's Day...I didn't do too well financially, but "HEY" I'm the new guy too.

Zach just got home and I can see the satisfaction and desire for more in his face.

Knowing my boy will be okay is the greatest gift I could have ever gotten.

What a great Mother's Day...what a good way to start off my week.

Til next time..."Easy to please COTTON"

No comments: