Monday, May 3, 2010

Sometimes You are Driving the Car...Sometimes You Are the Bug on the Windshield

My life has been through the wringer this past year...my faith has been tested and my ulcer has come back.

I am one of the luckiest people alive...just took me a year of trials to find the justice.

My new job is the best thing that has happened to me in over ten years.

I loved my old job when I first got it. When we got bought out by a large corporation the mood shifted and I squirmed in my seat. After squirming for a while I began to feel uncomfortable and eventually came to feel unwanted.

When kicked to the wayside I felt abandoned and alone.

When I woke up I was scared silly. What would or COULD I do to hold on to a job that I didn't even like anymore, because I was the sole provider for my family ?

In the words of my departed father "For Pete's sake...pick yourself up and MOVE on."

It took a while, I felt lost at my new job and struggled to keep up with kids younger than my own. After much studying and a month of faking it I have re surfaced and landed on top.

To go into work every day with a feeling of dread and the feeling that I may be fired at any given moment has been replaced with a calm and with knowledge that this restaurant WANTS me and that they appreciate me.

So it's not Boeing , working for Interpol or Warren Buffet but it is a nice restaurant that is selling a FANTASTIC product backed by ONE family...MY bosses. A husband and wife team and their youngest son.

I am not lost in a corporate shuffle, I am not "One of the little people" I am a woman who has proved herself to be a good server and worker and has been welcomed into their family and been compensated beyond my wildest dreams.

They all tease me about being skinny (which I am) and have all contributed daily to plumping me up with the most fantastic food I have ever eaten.

They added a new dessert tonight...Cannoli Cake. I told the owner I wanted to taste it and he sliced me a big chunk. With other employees following me with forks I hid and ate every bite.

I told the owner I wanted a Cannoli cake for my son's birthday...put me down on the calendar.

My ulcer seems to hurt less every day, my bank account is moving towards the black and I feel better about myself every day.

What seemed like devastation losing one job has turned into a total blessing acquiring a better one.

If anyone wants a GREAT quality meal...come see me at Mama Lucia's ... Ashley Park in Newnan. You will be like me, wonderfully surprised and happy when you walk out the door!

I am off on Tuesday and Thursday but you will find me there on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I will be the one with the biggest smile!

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: