Saturday, March 6, 2010

Teaching Your Dog to Speak



This is a video one of my three big mutts. Meet Ham, who we call "Chewbaaka." I'm not sure if that is how they spelled it in Star Wars...but it is definitely the same language.



This big boy is teetering on 100 pounds and is the biggest gentle giant I have ever met. The female boxer that hops up beside him is Rosie, his aunt...or as my husband says his "Aunt girlfriend." Luckily aunt girlfriend has been fixed .


Whenever my husband rubs my shoulders or pets Rosie, Ham starts this weird talking. We're not sure what he is saying but he is pretty emphatic about it. It doesn't bother Rosie in the least...at least she gets free lovin' so we can all laugh at Ham.


Ham is quick as lightning and can jump over six feet off the ground with ease. He could maul you to death if he wanted but is the sweetest tempered dog I have ever owned. It took the bulldog a few months to realize that...he pushed Ham over the edge a few times and for a while we called the bulldog "Scarface" because of all his battle wounds. Ham never started one fight but when Charlie would cross the line the talking turned into action and that was NEVER good news for Charlie. They have finally all learned the pecking order and peace has been restored. My husband calls Charlie "Half Pint." He roots under my bed like a little fat white troll...the boxers can't fit under there so they stay on top on the bed with us and the bulldog snores away under his little bridge.

Massey watched a Star Wars movie in class at school the other day (obviously one of her easier classes or lazier teachers) and commented on how much Chewbaaka and Ham sounded alike.

He sleeps with his back up against mine when Tim works overnight and hops off the bed the minute he hears the garage door in the morning. Of course when Tim climbs in bed Ham jumps back up to lay down right between us (he thinks he's a chaperone.)

Hands down my three kids are my pride and joy...my three pups run a close second. They don't cost near as much as my kids and never talk back (except for Ham.)

Til next time...COTTON



No comments: