Monday, February 22, 2010

Makes Ya Wonder Sometimes

Case in point...I brought home a bag of dog food today from the store. I asked my 17 year old son to feed the dogs.
He's gotten pretty good at helping out around the house...especially with the dogs. He's even learned that three big dogs need fresh water every time you feed them (no duh.)
About half an hour later I went out to the garage and the 20lb bag of food had actually been poured into the huge plastic container I keep the dog food in, but I noticed food scattered all over the floor and quickly saw why.
He had opened the bag of food with a claw hammer which was still in the garage floor next to the dog food bin. I asked Zach if he had used a hammer to open the dog food and his reply was "Sure, why not?"
Okay, a knife..maybe. Scissors...even better, but a HAMMER?
The other day I was at Walmart buying a few groceries when an older couple got in line behind me. I put the divider bar behind the last of my groceries and the man started putting their purchases on the conveyor belt. He plopped down a Sunday paper and then tossed two bags of frozen peas right on top of the newspaper. I glanced at the already thawing vegetables as the wife said 'Why'd you put them on top of the paper for goodness sake?"
I told her I had stopped myself from asking him the same question when I mentally reminded myself I had my OWN husband to get on to.
He said casually "It looked like a good place to me."
GO FIGURE !!
My husband will drink all the tea in the fridge but a half a cup and put the pitcher back in the refrigerator. What's he doing...saving that 4 ounces in case someone decides they aren't really all THAT thirsty?
My oldest son will go out and buy a new shirt for work when all of his are dirty...where's the logic in THAT? Granted I stopped doing his laundry (the age of 24 is my cut off for laundry ) but for Pete's sake...throw a load into wash when you know you are going to need a shirt for work.
Lucky for me I have to wear white shirts to work too so we at least always have an ample supply to choose from ...maybe I'll let that one slide!
A while back when my son's car broke down my 'next door husband' towed it home for him, inadvertently tearing off the front bumper. My son just left the bumper laying in my side yard for about 3 weeks before I stacked all the torn up parts behind my garage so at least the neighbors didn't have to look at them. Maybe my son thought bumpers were bio degradable and it would just disappear into the ground.
Living with a house full of men has its upsides too. They are basically low maintenance and rarely ever complain...they leave all the complaining to me and I sincerely appreciate the kind gesture.
I could throw some pig slop on a plate and yell "DINNER" and although they may not brag about my cooking they would surely eat it.
I could open a can of tomatoes I had left in the cabinet...warm it up with some milk added and tell them Tomato soup is for supper and they would eat it, clumps and all. They have never once complained about a plate or bowl of food I placed in front of them.
Men and women are so radically different that sometimes I wonder if we are the same species.
I love my husband and I love my two boys but sometimes they leave ME thinking "What the hell are YA'LL thinking?"
Massey is a train wreck as far as drama and being a hideous "room picker upper" but at least even SHE would balk at a can of stewed tomatoes with milk for supper and I can almost guarantee she would never use a hammer to open a bag of dog food.
MEN!!!
Thank the Lord they have us women to shove them down the path of life and tell them every wrong step they take.
My men may end up in a wheel chair with me "Pushing them down the path" because they just weren't walking fast enough!
Til next time...COTTON
PS. Be sure to double click on the above photo...pretty funny (especially if you are a female)

1 comment:

Walter said...

Well I KNOW you've been talking to my wife. And where did you get that picture of me?