Saturday, January 30, 2010

Tired of Winter...I'm a Weather Sissy

Just got home from work again...seems like I always am. When I work these long work weeks (14 days) I try to sleep until I have to get up to get ready for work. I don't get much done around the house during the day but I feel better and have more energy to do house work when I get home. I am sure the kids are tired of hearing the vacuum cleaner running at midnight but when they wake up the dishes are done and the dog hair is off the carpets.

Of course I squeeze in blogging first (priorities) so they have to put up with me rambling around the downstairs like the "Cleaning Troll." I have the dogs to keep me company and they haven't complained once about the late night cleaning so I'm sticking to my current schedule.

Work was crazy. Now I remember why I quit working Saturday nights. I went in at 1:30 and worked til 10:00. Most everyone I waited on was nice but it was in such rapid fire motion that I began lose track of not only time but my mind and patience.

There is one couple that comes in several times a week. If I am there they ask for my table and then the fun begins. (NOT)

Something is always wrong or not to their liking. I mean, if I ate at a restaurant that always got it wrong I think I would go elsewhere. Not them ! They feed on the attention they get from the managers...who bend over backwards to kow tow to them. I realize that they spend a great deal of money in our store, but half the time the gripes are unfounded and they still get treated like we are in the wrong and owe them something when in fact we don't.

If they would just smile every once in a while it would make it a lot easier to take. They come in looking like they just lost their best friend and even when everything is perfect they act the same. Kind of a pitiful way to live your life if you ask me. They were my only negative table though and I got to wait on several regulars that I haven't seen since I quit working Saturdays.

I banked and even though it was an almost ten hour shift it all worked out to my advantage.

My manager asked me if I would be willing to work overtime on Valentine week...they hound me every week about my hours but when they need extra help they act like they are doing me a favor when in fact I am helping THEM!

I told him of course I would and started plotting right then and there.

Since management OK'd overtime for me that week, I am going to pick up every available shift I can. Heck...I bet I can squeeze 80 hours into that week if I try hard enough. I can make the house note and pay some of Massey's band dues off and maybe even have some money left to buy me some new underwear. If I got in car wreck and the paramedics had to strip me down to my underwear ...I would die of embarrassment, not the injuries!

I remember when I was little , my mom always told me to wear good underwear in case something happened. I guess she was looking out for her good name as my mother, but I have that tidbit of info stored in my brain and think of that every time I pull on a ratty pair of panties and get in my car to go to work. It makes me drive all that more carefully.

Isn't it weird the things you remember your mother taught you as a kid? I never cross my eyes anymore or even swallow chewing gum. You'll never catch ME sitting too close to the TV set or driving less than three car links behind a car going thirty miles per hour.

Thank goodness my mom died before cell phones were invented...she would already have me at the Neurologist's checking for that brain tumor.

It has been a dismal past year for us, but things are looking up and I am ready for Spring. I am ready to work in the yards and get that sun that my mother also warned me about.

I am so crazy anyway that she is probably already rolling over in her grave thinking "How is she going to survive without me?"

I have been wondering that SAME thing for almost 34 years.

Til next time...

COTTON

No comments: