Tuesday, November 17, 2009

"So im no ones Bitch"




Okay, here we go...this may be a lengthy one.

My seventeen year old son was a late bloomer socially. He stayed at home for most of the first 16 years of his life but since turning 17 he has brought home more new friends than I can count and keep fed. They all seem like good kids and through much trial and error I have come to be a pretty good judge.

A few weeks ago he set out on a weekend day with four boys. They went to Cochran's Mill...a park on the outskirts of Coweta County. I was sitting at the computer when he got home... a little late but only about 9:00. He said he had some good news and some bad news. He said he didn't get arrested but that he had gotten a ticket from the police. He said not to "Freak Out" that he could explain (I could hardly wait to hear THIS one.)

The boys had been walking around the park and were headed back to the car when one of the boys stopped because his flip flop had broken, after trying to fix it he lost sight of the other boys and became lost. The other boys heard him hollering and went back to find their friend.

By the time they found him and found their way back out a policeman was waiting telling them they were in the park after closing and were subject to a fine. He searched all the boys and went back to their car and searched it as well. All good on the search...he gave each boy a ticket to appear in court. After calling the number on the ticket we were told that the fine was $250.00. I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit when I heard .

We tried to contact the District Attorney but were told he had to show up for his court date. As the date got closer I kept telling Zach he needed to pick up some odd jobs to be able to pay his fine. Heck, I am having trouble making the water bill...much less a $250.00 ticket for broken flip flops. I work with a girl who need some brush cleared in her back yard and kept telling Zach to call her. To his credit he did call her once and she said she would call him back. She is a working mother with three kids under the age of six and the thought probably never crossed her mind again. I told Zach to call her again and again.

Three days before the court date Zach said he needed to get over there and do that work for her. I told him that he hadn't talked to her in over two weeks and even if she still wanted it done I was pretty sure it wasn't going to pay $250.00.

I got a little upset with Zach (maybe an understatement) and told him that I did NOT have the money to pay this ridiculous fine. He kind of blew it off and I reminded him that this was a "COURT DATE" not a "PROM DATE" it wasn't optional and it wasn't negotiable. I told him that judges mean business and his word would be the final word.

Of course then my mouth took over (I just can't help it sometimes) and said that if he didn't have the money and the judge found him guilty he may end up going to jail. Of course I expanded on these thoughts and told him he was already a pretty skinny kid and may find himself someones bitch by the end of his first day in the Big House. A friend of mine at work said "Hey! At least it will be one less mouth to feed and tell him I'll come visit him in the Slammer." Let me interject that she loves all three of my kids dearly but is a smart aleck just like me.

Zach didn't think either one of us were funny and as the court date approached I could tell he was a bit apprehensive. He said he was going to speak for himself and that in itself made me a bit MORE than apprehensive.

Day before the court date...my oldest son's car died in the Publix parking lot and he said he needed my husband's car to go to work. At least life is never dull at the Cottons.

I had to be at work at 10:30 this morning so my husband took me to work in my car, TJ took my husband's car (with an expired tag) to work and Tim checked Zach out after lunch for his 3:00 court date.

DUM DE DUM DUM !!

It was all I could think about at work. I bummed a ride home from a friend and went to doing what I do best lately...worrying.

I sent Zach a text on his phone about 3:45 and said "Let me know what happens and I love you."

At 4:00 he sent me a text saying the fine was dropped and he just had to pay the $40 (he said fourty...wish cell phones had spell check) court cost and that he would pay me back when he did my friend's yard.

I was so relieved it wasn't even funny...until I received another text from him not two minutes later. It read, verbatim " So im no ones Bitch."

Zach is a good kid. He has wavered and sometimes struggled...but who hasn't? I love my kids like nothing else and even though they seem to be trying to kill me on a daily basis I wouldn't have it any other way.

Tim said that Zach did a pretty amazing job of talking to the judge , explaining his case and even had the broken flip flop in the courtroom as evidence.

Maybe my boy will be the next F. Lee Bailey.

Tim starts a new job tomorrow, not much money...but money! The trucking company seems to be on the verge of starting up as well and you know what I think?

I do believe the tide is finally starting to turn...right before the surf swept us totally under. Thank the Lord we all knew how to tread water.

1 comment:

Joannah said...

As soon as I read that Zach would be speaking to the Judge, I knew he would NOT be paying a $250.00 fine. You couldnt win an argument with him when he was 6, let alone 17. I am SOOO proud of him! Im so glad to hear that Tim starts work tommorrow...now if I could just hear the same words about my husband after these past seven long months...
Keep em coming Kell, youre my light thru the fog girl!