Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Only Two More Shifts..WOO HOO !

I have decided that I am just too old to work doubles anymore....especially back to back. Speaking of backs, this ole gal's is killing her! Not to mention my feet my head and my legs.

I am grateful to have a job that I can work as much as I want and walk out with a paycheck after every shift...guess the good outweighs the bad.


Today was crazy. The lunch shift was fast and furious. Every one wants to be in and out in under thirty minutes.


One of my pet peeves is when another server runs food to your table and they ask that sever to bring them something like mayo or mustard and while THAT server has gone to fetch it...I come back to the table and ask if they need anything and they say "Well yes, I need some mustard and mayo." Then I go to get it and come back to the table and there sits mustard and mayo already brought by the other server. Shouldn't they instead say "Well I asked the other server to bring some mayo and mustard?" This happened twice today. The second time I passed a server in the hallway toting a bottle of mustard and mayo and Tabasco... stopped her to ask her what table she was going to. When she told me I quickly grabbed some mustard , mayo and Tabasco and walked ten steps behind her to the table with my hands loaded with their obviously desperately needed items. She sat hers on the table and I walked up ten seconds after her with mine with a cleverly disguised look of surprise on my face. Hey we may be "Waitresses" but we aren't stupid .


Then there are the people that are "Low Talkers." The restaurant is already loud and noisy when we are busy and the Country music piped throughout the place doesn't help one iota. I will ask what they would like to order and without looking up from their menu will mumble incoherent words like they were confessing their most horrible sin to a Priest. I will say nicely "Excuse me?" Then they will repeat their mumbling order at exactly the same volume still not bothering to at least look up so I can attempt to read their lips. I then try a different approach with "I'm sorry, what did you say?" If they still don't get it I have to finally say "I am sorry but I can't understand a word you are saying." (A good friend of mine that I work with taught me that one.)
It's like people that are on their cell phone while trying to order. If they shoo me away with their hand when I first go to the table...I won't go back until they hang up the phone. My motto is "Shoo me once shame on you, shoo me twice and don't eat." I had a couple at my table today, the man was on the phone the entire time and his wife finally said that she would order for both of them because they were in a rush. I know I shouldn't have, but I am by NO MEANS a 'Low Talker' and took the order from the wife while he held his head cocked over down in the booth with his hand over his open ear and acted like I was continuing to bother him. When their food came out he was un pleased with what his wife had ordered and I felt like saying "If you had taken the time to get off your phone and speak with me I would have granted your every wish...but I just ordered you what your wife told me you wanted."
ANYHOO.. enough of THAT rant!
Tonight was insane. After a fifteen minute break I was back on the clock and ran my butt off for four more hours . I finally got to go home after 9:00 and fell into this chair to do what I love most...WRITE WRITE WRITE !
I went in search of my favorite bedroom slippers...found one but the other one was missing. My husband found it under our king size bed...dried with dog slobber covered with dirt and twigs and missing the cute pink bow and the fluffy tail that used to be on the heel of the slipper.
CHARLIE !! The idiot Bulldog that our son snuck back into our house proceeding his OWN sneaking back home had discovered it and taken it to his secret nest under our bed. My two Boxers are too big to get under the bed so Charlie takes every precious item he finds under our bed to gnaw on and enjoy.
The first time my oldest son snuck Charlie back into the house he was just a pup. Granted my son (another idiot that I love) paid $3000.00 for this dog...but he is till a "DOG."
It was Christmas time and I was getting decorations out of the attic when a piece of insulation (you know, that pink stuff they spray in your attic) fell onto the floor in the upstairs hall. I was coming back down the stairs when I saw it and thought to myself "I'd better get that before Charlie sees it." As I went to pick it up he charged like "Dang that be something GOOD if she is going for it" and quickly snorted up the fiberglass insulation into his flat faced mouth. I didn't tell anyone about it...just prayed that he would still be alive in the morning.
Obviously the fiber agreed with him...just like the cotton puff of a tail on my bedroom slipper and the pink bow that was previously attached to the lamb's head.
My husband said he was wondering while I was at work why Charlie was coughing like he had a fur ball caught in his throat. Dang, it was my little lamb's tail and bow and I will never forgive him for it.
If he can live through eating fiberglass insulation...my bedroom slippers are gravy, no wonder he looks so happy!
After the day I had though it is good to come home to humor. There is never a short supply of it here and that is why it is always nice to come home. Don't have to be back to work til tomorrow at 4:00...it is almost like a day off! Two more days and I will have my second day off since August!!
It will seem like a vacation...wonder where I will go?
Til next time...COTTON

No comments: