Friday, October 9, 2009

Just Hang On...

I feel like Zach did in this picture when I took it seven years ago at the Powers Crossroads Festival. He was all geared up and excited to begin the climb. He was a tough guy and knew he could do it.

Ten feet up he began to look nervous..twenty feet up and he began to look for a way down. He had on a harness and had a safety line attached so we knew that even though he was scared he would be okay.

Some days I wake up and forget that I have my own harness from God keeping me safe.. It's always been there and sometimes you just seem to take it for granted.

The harness holds you but what happens when you take a fall?

I found out today at work.

I went in for my thirteenth day in a row and was lucky enough to get an 11 top of investment bankers having lunch together. They were probably scheming how to bilk old people out of their savings..but it was over eight people so I got to add an 18% gratuity.

The hostess came up and said I must be popular because I had a party that wanted to eat with me as well.

I quickly sent in the order for the 'Schemers" and went to find a girl (I call her that because she has always seemed like that to me) with her daughter and grand child sitting at my table.

I grew up in East Point Christian Church and her older sister was one of my best friends from the nursery on up. My best friend was the middle sister of three ... the girl at my table was the baby sister and has remained that way in my mind for all these years.

I always call her giggle box because she has the most delightful giggle I have ever heard and I seem to bring it out in her every time I wait on her.

In server speak, she is a "PHAT" tipper and is one of the easiest people to wait on. As long as she can sit and dote on her grandchild and visit with her "mini me" daughter she is happy. Her daughter looks just like her mother and has the same wonderful qualities.

She told me she had read my blog about my Mother's birthday and that she had loved it (another reason I love her.)

After my fiasco with the bad shop at work with the dreaded secret shopper she sent me an email telling me how great a server she thought I was.

We chatted about her Mom who is the most emailing and forwarding woman I know. Where do they FIND that stuff? I couldn't even begin to know where to look on the Internet for the things this woman sends me..but along with a couple of other friends of mine, they seem to do all the searching for me so I don't have to worry about learning how.

Anyway, we had a nice visit and I had a free kids meal coupon I gave her daughter and set them up with drinks to go in our to go cups that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. Big 22 oz. cups that I have about thirty of in my cabinet at the house. When my kids leave the house and want a drink , I always say put it in a "GO" cup. Cups always seem to leave my house but never come back.

I started to get busy and when I went to pick up the check she said she didn't need change so I kept on working my section until I got a break to go by and pick up the payment book from the table.

Her tab was $33.00. Inside the book was a hundred dollar bill.

She had been gone for fifteen minutes when I went to pick up the check so I knew she was long gone...but the tears fell from my eyes so fast it almost hurt.

As soon as I got home from work I sent her an email to thank her for her wonderful gift. You know, just when you think the harness is going to break and you don't think you can hang on any longer...another Angel comes swooping in and saves you.

I was embarrassed...again, but her wonderful gift brought my bank balance back into the black...a place it hasn't been in a week. I am the proud owner of $1.42 and could just POP!!

How am I ever going to re pay all these wonderful people that keep pushing me on and helping my family to survive?

I don't know what I have ever done in my life to deserve this outpouring of love and support...but I have been truly humbled and learned that family, friends and caring are probably the three things that come right after "GOD."

When I went into work today I was a broken woman..when I left I was an uplifted woman.

Thank you to my readers, thank you to my family, thank you to my friends and Thank YOU to the Good Lord above.

I can hang on...you just wait and see !!!

Shout out "S.T.B" You made my day!!

Til next time...a revived COTTON

PS Be sure to click on the picture of Zach..he seems to be looking for an Angel (or ladder) as well!


No comments: