Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Dang! I Already Know I am Getting Old...Quit Reminding Me


As you know my best friend from high school lost her Mother on Friday. I went to the viewing yesterday after work. I looked out of the room and saw another dear friend from high school walking down the hall. I thought maybe she was there for my friend's Mother. She went to leave the building and I followed her out. All three of us girls were on the cheer leading squad together in 1977. Me, the girl who's Mother had just passed and the girl I saw walking out the side door. I asked her why she was leaving and she said she was there making arrangements for her own Mother who had died that morning.


I guess when you reach the age of 50 and you are the youngest sibling...your parents are well into their eighties.
I tend to forget this since my own Mother died when I was 17...but time goes on and these two girls (I still like to call myself a girl) had just both lost their Mother within hours of each other.
I was the lucky one.
My Mother went in a matter of minutes. These other two friends watched their once vibrant Moms dwindle away over the years and came to be the care givers that their Mothers once were.
They both are reacting exactly the way their Mothers would want them to. They are happy that they are gone from their tired worn out bodies and have gone on to a new existence by the Right side of God and are taking their well deserved and earned places in Heaven.
We were all blessed to have wonderful parents and now we are all blessed that they have crossed over to the place they lived their life to end up in.
It saddens me to think that within one month I have gone to the funeral for a 33 year old soldier giving his life for his country..and gone to funerals for the parents of three close high school friends.

It reminds me that in fact I am getting older myself and have all the more reason to live my life like the way my parents raised me to live it .
Put God first...put family second and put care for others a close third.
The picture I uploaded is grainy and off center because I just couldn't make myself tear out a page from my yearbook...they mean too much to me, but how bizarre is it that Denise, Sandy and I are all on one page from thirty two years ago and we are still all on one page today?
Yes, that is me and Sandy (who's Mom died most recently) with the bandannas and sunglasses and Denise who's Mom died Friday is right next to our picture with her long hair (Peggy Lipton from The Mod Squad style) and my picture is right above hers and Sandy's is on the left.
Thirty two years ago we were together on a page in a year book. Today we are all together on the same page of life.
We had a terrific childhood and a wonderful experience as teens. Today we mourn the loss of parents and wonder why we took our youth for granted?
When you are young you feel invincible.
When you reach middle age you feel grateful.
When you lose a parent you feel lost.
They are all still with us emotionally, they are just waiting to see if what they taught us was listened to and are all huddled together in Heaven waiting to see if the seed they sowed will sprout.
Let's make every one of them proud!
Oh Yeah, click on the photo and it will be BIGGER than life...
Til next time....COTTON


No comments: