Friday, October 2, 2009

Another One Trying to Join the Workforce!

Last night at work I had a party of five young girls at my table. Ages ranging from 4 to 22. They all had on tee shirts with a logo from a local wing place that I know of from waiting on the owners. I asked if they knew the owners and they said they were their daughters. All cute as buttons and just as nice as their parents (the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.) Out of five girls two were twins and my middle son's age. One of them said they had a class with Zach and commented on how smart he was. Not that his grades show it, but at least I know now that his secret power is slipping out and once EVERYONE knows of his tremendous ability maybe he will finally put it to use!

I asked if they were hiring and the oldest daughter said they were staffed today, but you never know how many will show up tomorrow and for Zach to come in and fill out an application.

Today after school my husband picked Massey up and Zach went to fill out applications with a friend. Around 6:30 I called Zach to see where he was because finally I cooked a good dinner and didn't want him to miss it.

He said he was at the wing place to apply and I immediately told him that it wasn't cool to go apply for a job in a restaurant at 6:30 on a Friday night.

He told me he just went in to get a resume'.

I gently explained that he didn't have a resume' but that he was filling out an application...dang I HAVE sheltered him too much!

Both the boys came back to my house to eat dinner and Zach had his "RESUME' " with him and put it on the kitchen table. The two boys went upstairs to play a game of chess and I picked up his application. He had his social security number right (he said he wrote it on his wrist) but he had our phone number off by two digits. I'll let that one slide, with speed dial and contacts on cell phones, I don't even know Tim's cell by heart or Zach's.

Where the application asked "referred by" ... Zach had written "the owner told my mom to tell me to apply."

I think I laughed for a good five minutes...thank goodness Zach was upstairs!

Granted he doesn't know his own house phone number and he thinks an application is a resume' but at least he is out there looking for work.

My boy speaks what is on his mind.

I remember when he was in middle school and brought home a test he had taken...the last question required an essay type answer and Zach had written "I have no idea what you mean by this."

It's like the time he had to do a report for Black history month when he was in fifth grade and he chose, not Martin Luther, not Martin Luther King, not Martin Luther King, Jr. but Martin Luther King III. The facts were hard to find and Zach said he would just "wing it." I told him that he couldn't make up facts but had to back them up. One of the questions asked what kind of education this person had...so Zach wrote "we can only assume he did well in school." One of the other questions asked when this person died and Zach wrote "He is happily alive."

As my husband often says "That's our boy!"

At least he is trying to get work, and with HIS resume' we expect the offers to be piling in by tomorrow!

Kids... they are constantly wearing you out or giving you the greatest material for a blog. Either way I love them and wouldn't trade them for anything. They make it all worth while and while sometimes I could wring their necks...the next minute I want to hug them and hold them close.

Thank the Lord they still tell me they love me every time we end a phone call and everytime they leave the house...to a mom, that means the WORLD and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Will keep you posted on how the resume' is going for my boy!

Til next time...COTTON (still happily alive)

No comments: