Thursday, October 15, 2009

Another Funeral...a Canine One


We are big lovers of Boxers in our family. When I was young that was the only kind of dog we ever had til a Scottie we named Angus showed up. We had Smokey and Punch as kids...my sister had Champ and Spunky when she was first married, then moved on to have Maggie. Tim and I have Rosie and Ham and my sister now has Boss and Bear. Bear has come down with liver problems and does not have a good prognosis. He has taken a swift turn for the worse and the vet is telling my sister that it may be time to have him put down.



If you aren't a dog lover you just won't understand how this kind of news hits you. It hits you like a ton of bricks in the chest.



Boxers are the most wonderful dogs you could ever have. They are always smiling and good natured (except Maggie when she got older...she could be a BEE-AACH .) They are happy, playful and are very protective of their own (in my house that would mean ME.)



As I type this post I have both of my Boxers and the Bulldog that my son brought back home with him arranged around my feet. They know who feeds and loves them and their devotion is never ending.



When my husband gets up in the morning and I have worked late the night before...the minute he leaves the bedroom, my Ham jumps onto the king size bed and snuggles down next to me. Rosie is older and too lazy to make the leap , but if she does she is there for the afternoon. Ham will pop up and down as Tim moves about the house, Rosie just thinks that it was so hard to hike her fat butt up onto the king size bed that she will stay there unless she hears Caesar Milan ring the door bell.



My heart breaks for my sister. She loves her Boxers just as much as I love mine and if I had to make the decision she has to, I would be wringing my hands in despair.



She had a paint job today so I went by to check on Bear for her. He was curled up on a blanket and barely lifted his head when I came in. I tried to take him outside but he resisted so I let him be. I just patted his head and rubbed his coat and let him know it was okay and that he could do what ever he felt like..which turned out to be just lay on his blanket and not move much.



I know they are dogs, but when you love your dogs like my sister and I do...they are family and almost just as important to you as the kids you have sucking you dry and always needing something. These dogs never ask for any thing but are grateful for every thing that you give them and show such tremendous love in return that I sometimes wish they could tutor my kids in showing respect.



My sister has decided that they may have Bear put down tomorrow (I HATE that term) but if it happens I told my sister that I wanted to be there. He is a great dog and he has wormed his way into our life and we all love him like he was one of our own kids...in a way he is.



It breaks my heart that he is so sick and has no chance for recovery...what hurts me even more is that we have to watch him die.



My sister's husband already has a plot for him ready.



Dogs come into your life and become one of the family. When they leave you it is like losing a family member. They never complained they never griped or asked for something special, they just loved you for loving them and for them that was enough.



At least we give them a good life and for the years that we have them we love them RIGHT back.



Go rest, Bear...and know that even though you are a canine...you are one of the family and that you will be dearly missed.



I will never forget those Bronze eyes and long legs...you will be remembered and always be missed.

3 comments:

Lynsey said...

You are not allowed to do this to me without warning me first!!! I understand your pain so well, I got my dog when I was 20 and he, besides my parents, has be the one constant I could count on through out my 20's and anyone who has survived this period of like knows how important that is. Good luck to you and your sister tomorrow... I'll be a wreck when it is my turn.

Walter said...

I've lost several "Good Friends" in my life. From Pippin, my little girl Eskimo Spitz, Sam, her Mate, Suzie, her replacement, and lastly Buddy, our adopted half Basset, half Blood-hound that I had to teach to howl.
I still feel the pain of loosing each oof them. Sam died in my arms at the vet, waiting during an Emergency call. Buddy was an 80 lb. lap dog.
They were all my friends. Never doubted it once. True unadulterated unconditional love. Uncommon from Humans, but common when yoou become part of "the Pack"!
My condolences to Ms. Cindy. God Bless you all.

Renee said...

Kelly,

How heartbreaking. Please give Cindy my heartfelt condolences.

Renee