Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Update on Dani

I thought I would give you an update on my co worker who was in a devastating car accident. She has battled back like the warrior she has thoroughly proved herself to be.

Ya know, when I first started writing about her "co worker" seemed the appropriate term. As I have gotten to know her better and gotten to know her wonderful family and support system... "friend" seems much more appropriate and accurate.

She came into the restaurant to see me just the other day and brought her mom with her who is visiting from Michigan. It was the first time I had met her mother and they looked like sisters standing there. Dani brought me a sweet card to thank me for visiting her in the hospital...TOTALLY unnecessary but thoughtful just like the young girl who handed it to me.

She is almost through with her out patient therapy and has made BEYOND amazing progress.

Getting to know this young girl , her friends and family has been a really touching and eye opening experience. You know the saying..."Only by the grace of God..."

You never know what the next minute in life may bring or if you are even going to have that next minute.

This girl knows that now...this girl LIVES that now.

As you can see if you click on the photo of the vehicle she was sitting in the passenger seat of when the wreck happened, it is a miracle she survived at all.

But survive she did... and thrive she will. Her personality is slowly returning to the young girl I remember before the wreck and the glow in her face has returned as well.

In her delirious state early on in the Sheperd Center...she talked on and on and on about the "Sham Wow." Don't ask me why, I guess infomercials work really well when you are in traction, casts, body braces and awake all night with only a TV for company.

Anyway, Massey and I bought her one and took it to her in the hospital. You would have thought I took her a pair of diamond earrings! I have posted a pic of me and her with the coveted "Sham Wow" as well.

The last picture is where the first of this story began. In a hospital bed clinging to life.

Obviously my girl is a "CLINGER."

She hung on, she maintained and made the best of her daily changing prognosis and outlook...sometimes it was bleak...sometimes it was dim...but she gave it her all and God has rewarded her with a miracle in my book.

It has been a true blessing for me, getting to know her AND her courage... and for her to consider this ole broad a friend (I hope people don't think I'm her Grandma) although I would be pleased as pop to have a grand daughter as great as her one day (WAY on down the road.)

She has had a couple of minor set backs and has some problems with having been intubated for such a long period of time...but mark my words (not really my words BUT Danielle is WAY too young to remember this show) it just seems so fitting...

"WHO CAN TURN THE WORLD ON WITH HER SMILE

WHO CAN TAKE A NOTHING DAY AND SUDDENLY MAKE IT ALL SEEM OKAY

WELL IT'S YOU GIRL AND YOU SHOULD KNOW IT

WITH EACH GLANCE AND EVERY LITTLE MOMENT YOU SHOW IT

LOVE IS ALL AROUND , NO NEED TO WASTE IT

YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL, WHY DON'T YOU TAKE IT

YOU'RE GONNA MAKE IT AFTER ALL

YOU'RE GONNA MAKE IT AFTER ALL."

Til Next time...COTTON








No comments: