Thursday, September 17, 2009

Super Franny on the Fifty

Last week we took my Dad's cousin to the football game with us to see Massey performance in the halftime show. She is nearing eighty, recently had open heart surgery and an open wound from a botched catheter. She spent a couple of months in a rehab and came out like the champ she has proven to be. I picked her up at her house and we went by to pick up my sister who was going with us as well. My daughter's high school is a massive size school and luckily I get there early to help with concessions. I wasn't thinking when I parked the car...I always park by the band room for an easy exit when 2,000 people are trying to leave the stadium. we all got out of the car and stood for a minute or two to watch the band rehearsal and wave to Massey.

Then we started our trudge to the stadium. I just wasn't thinking about Frances when I parked so far away and by the time I had led them both in and out of the school a couple of times and weaved them behind the cafeteria to finally come out on the other side of the school where we could see the stadium in the distance, Frances commented "You should have just parked at YOUR house and we could have walked from there."

My sister and I cracked up. She was right, I made it as hard as I could for her, just to make it easier for myself after the game. Her best friend's son is with the Sheriff's dept and is the resource officer at the high school. We called him on his cell phone and he met us at the gate after our 1/2 mile walk and got Frances into the game for free and set her up on the fifty yard yard line. He also told me that after the game we could go get the car and pick her up in the handicap line right by the front gate.

I gave her a free funnel cake from my stand that I help in and even got to watch the half time show with her. I thought that she would want to leave after half time but she stayed the entire game.

She is a pistol and sharp as a whip. I only hope that some of her genes are equally shared with mine. She is hard of hearing but besides that she is an amazing and strong willed woman that seems to have no limits.

It was the most fun I have had at a ball game and she makes me laugh with almost every comment.

I didn't really get to know her until she had the open heart surgery and went to rehab. Massey and I visited her quite often and got to know how much of a delight she is. She is a fire ball and on top of her game. She knows what she wants and knows how to express herself in the most wonderful way. I don't think that I have ever met a person as strong as her or a person with a more positive attitude or out look.

Geez...I hope that I am like that one day.

No comments: