Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Raindrops on Roses and Big Fat Wide Faces

These are a few of my favorite things.

The top picture is of course my daughter (with the big fat wide face.) The next picture is one of my dearest friends in the world, the girl on the right (with the big fat wide face.)

They both know they have big fat wide faces...it is both of their best features. I say this with all the love in my heart and soul. These are two of my most prized and dearest friends; My daughter and (let's call her "Terri" for this post.) I met Massey 14 years ago when she came into this world over two months early and almost killed me with an emergency C section and I met 'Terri' twelve years ago when I started at my restaurant. They both have incredibly curly hair, wide honest shining faces (well Terri's usually shines from hot flashes, but it still shines.)
They both have a heart as wide as their face and a soul that has unending depth.

I kid them both relentlessly because they look like twins separated by 36 years...dang that was a LONG labor!

They both wear those cute glasses shaped exactly the same way, they both give and give and you never see either of them in a bad mood... except for Massey when I harp on her cleaning her room and Terri when her meds aren't working :)

When Massey was younger and I would bring her to the restaurant, many people would ask Terri if she was her daughter.

Terri WOULD step in as Massey's mother in a heartbeat if she had to, or if anything ever happened to me and I know this for a fact. She would do anything for me or my girl.

I torment Terri at work on a daily basis and I truly don't know who enjoys it more, me or her?!

She is an awesome person...one I have been lucky enough to come to know and love and one that Massey ADORES.

They both have a mass of thick curly, unruly hair that neither of them know what to do with, they both have a golden heart... and they both love each other and both love me. How lucky can I be?

When I work the day shift with her, she will always let me stay late and let herself be cut from the floor just so I can make extra money. She will take my bank deposit for me on her way home and has even offered to put more money than I give her in my account (she knows how I bank.)

The last time I asked her to make a deposit, she hadn't been in a while and I didn't have any deposit slips so I wrote my account # down for her and asked her to just fill out a deposit slip when she got there. No problem! She didn't mind at all. She said she was going to her mom's house and was there a branch in downtown Newnan? I told her yes, right on the town square.

She called me later after I got home and was cooking dinner. She told me that she made my deposit for me..after going to the wrong bank first and filling out a slip with my account # on it and them telling her I didn't have an account with them. She asked them to check again and they did. They asked if maybe it was a business account and she said "maybe."

She finally asked ..."This IS Bank of ------" isn't it?" They replied "No , this is Bank of America."
She was across the street from my bank...but HEY, she was within walking distance and that's pretty close!

She is also pretty OCD (I wish Massey had THAT in common with her) she keeps all of her things at work in perfect order and EVERYTHING has to be in it's proper place. She keeps her little "Massey" glasses by the service bar so that she can read tickets when she has to.

One day, I went to the hostess stand and got the grease pencil that they use to mark tables on the floor plan and blacked out both lenses of her specks while she wasn't looking. Then I got some check from a table and asked her if she could read the numbers off to me.

She trotted over to her "Shelf of personal items" and retrieved her specks and put them on.

I think she initially thought she was having a stroke. Both lenses were blacked out and I think she thought her time had come. She moved her head back and forward with no improvement in her vision and finally took the glasses off to see if the room was still there, even if it was fuzzy it would be an improvement.

We all laughed so hard...she laughed even harder. She still brings that up from time to time.

I love both these girls...my Massey for the obvious and my Terri for loving me even though I am rotten.

Good friends make all the difference in a day and all the difference in your life. Thank the Lord I have such good ones.

Til next time...Rotten Cotton






No comments: