Friday, September 25, 2009

Homecoming at the High School

Tonight was homecoming for the high school.. I was running late and when I got there it was a little over an hour to kick off. I filmed the drum line practicing because I think they are awesome and I always liked percussion when I was in the band. There's nothing like a cadence to get things rocking in the stands. I shot the second video when I got to my now all too familiar funnel cake stand. Over an hour to kick off and it was already covered with people setting up their stands and preparing for the big game. I have to hand it to this high school...they make a big production out of each and every event for the kids and have amazing parent participation, which is exactly what it takes to make a successful program. The third video I made is after the funnel cake batter ran out (thank the Lord) and my husband and I went to watch the last five minutes of the game. It shows the band and how many people go to the game...thousands! I tape the band and then the players. Then I film "Chief Wampum." This kid is in a wheelchair and has difficulty speaking and cannot walk but my kids have both told me he is extremely intelligent and is one of the most popular kids in the school. I had to work last night but Massey marched in the homecoming parade in downtown Senoia. She said they had a stage set up to announce the nominees for homecoming court and that "Chief Wampum" was nominated for homecoming king and when his name was announced his parents lifted him out of his chair and helped him 'walk' across the stage. Massey said the crowd immediately began chanting "Wampum, Wampum , Wampum!" What a thrill it must be to this kid to not be thought of as an invalid, but to be uplifted as a school hero and mascot. Massey said he lost by 57 votes..not shabby in a school of almost 3,000. It made me respect these 3,000 kids even more . When I was in high school ...he would have been a pariah, an outcast, a kid that was never given a second glance. This kid is one of the most popular kids at the school and has been welcomed with open arms to be hailed as their mascot and treated accordingly. "Hail to the Chief!"

Every game I work, I gain more respect for the terrific school that my kids go to and for the kids that go there. On another note...no one showed up to fry funnel cakes except me and my husband and we "Kicked Ass." We had a line thirty deep at one point but we made it through. The first game there were five of us there, the last game we were down to four. Tonight was homecoming and many parents wanted to see their kids on the field. Tim and I were "DOIN'" it ...we tried not to look at how many people were in line but kept them coming and did just fine. I told Tim after the game that we were screwed now that they knew we could do it on our own. But I don't mind, helping this great group of kids and helping to support such a positive influence on the teens of today is a GOOD thing and that is what we need more of .

GO CHIEF WAMPUM!!!

No comments: