Saturday, September 19, 2009

Day Fourteen and Going Strong...(kinda)

Just got home from work. Today is day fourteen in a twenty one day work week. Hey! Only seven more to go. I actually do better when I work all the time...give me two days off and I don't want to go back...work me every day and I begin to feel like it is the "Norm." All I have to do is wake up and try to remember what time I have to be at work and work the rest of my day around that.

It's been busy around here. Last night was the football game, today it rained all day and Massey and I laid around watching TV in my king size bed and then I went into work. It was Homecoming for two high schools in the area and we were swamped with teens (note to self: take off on Homecoming.) They come in dressed like they are going to the VMA's or the Oscars. When I was in high school we had a football game and then all headed to the auditorium for a dance with the disco ball transforming the 50 year old room into an enchanting evening. The band would be some guys from our own school who dreamed of being the group "Queen" or at least gave it their best shot. Today the kids go out for an expensive meal with their dates clomping around in four inch heels and rent limos.

I got side tracked on Wednesday when I went into work. The manager pulled me aside the minute I walked in the door. One of our co worker's brother had just been killed in Afghanistan ... her mother was home for lunch when the soldiers rang her door bell. My co worker (and dear friend) was in the shower when she heard her mother scream.

What parent of any person serving in the military doesn't think about that knock on the front door ? I just couldn't imagine that and although it happens on a daily basis around the nation, until it hits your own house it doesn't seem real. Then the reality travels as fast as a lightening strike. Calls are made, people are stunned and caught off guard.

My heart breaks for this wonderful girl and her close knit family. I talked to her today for the first time. I sent her an email last night and she called to thank "Me." What does THAT tell you about what a great person she is and what a good family she is a part of?

I just seem to be a better writer than talker and tried to convey to her that her brother is a TRUE HERO and should be remembered for just that. He gave the ultimate sacrifice for not only her family but for ALL of our families and for our country.

I truly think about her constantly throughout my day and realize how grateful I am to have people like her brother who are willing to put their life on the line for ALL OF US.

So we lost the football game last night, my night at work was thwarted by teens with no money to tip, it rained all day and I am tired from working two weeks straight without a day off and my husband has no job.

She has lost a brother...his kids have lost a father and their mother has lost a husband. Her parents have lost a son and it was all to let us live here in America and have our freedom.

It seems ironic to me that this will be the second funeral I will be going to for a fallen soldier of our conflicts in the mid east. When the Black Hawk copters were shot down over a year ago...one of the soldiers on board was the son of a man I grew up with and our family took vacations with. It was the most draining and emotional funeral I have ever attended and left me with a new respect for our military and their families.

It seems I will be going to another one.
It seems that my own financial problems are small.
It seems like I am a lucky person.
It seems like you need to stop and count your blessings.
It seems like you always need to look at the "Bigger" picture to be able to see your own and put it into the proper perspective.

God bless Sgt. Shawn McCloskey and God bless his family. Thank you for giving your life for mine.

No comments: